Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

profile.country.GB.title
mustafa.arif
Explorer

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

I have just bought these headphones and the audio quality on calls is terrible. People I speak with on the phone report that the microphone is dampening my voice, making it sound echo-ey, whilst at the same time picking up ambient noise. Indeed, most report that the ambient noise is clearer than my voice! I'm not tryign to make calls in a particularly noisy environment - just a regular office.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

Hi,
I'm not sure what country you are in, but here in Australia we are protected by certain rules regarding faulty products, so your terms of purchase would be totally illegal here and a refund not replacement would be mandatory.
⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

I'm in the UK. Bought in store in September. 

profile.country.GB.title
ryocityboy88
Explorer

I bought them in Sydney airport from a German retailer there called Heinemann, I’ve since contacted them but no response yet with regards to proof of purchase provided (will need to chase). 

I’ll look at going through the Sony route when I’m back in UK. Surpringsly I’m in Tokyo now but not going to spoil my holiday chasing this down here as I can’t speak a word of Japanese.

Doesn't look like I’ll fair well given some of the feedback threads I’m reading.

profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

Hi,
Well it seems Australian consumer laws are much fairer for the purchaser,
Sony though should be doing more to sort out this issue, I guess you just
need to keep pushing for a result.
profile.country.GB.title
Fjtom77
Explorer

Is this a hardware issue (poor microphone quality)? Or is it something that can be fixed via software update?

profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

I suspect both!  People receiving replacement headphones say the replacement ones are a bit better but still not perfect.  The mics appear to pick up surround noise which I'd expect a software tweak could also help but over to Sony really.  They must know of this issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
PoochaLondon
Explorer

I just bought these last week on holiday from Dixons at Gatwick Airport and I had the first chance to test the call quality yesterday and everyone I spoke to said the quality was awful. I have Plantronics 5200 Legend and it's much better for calls. I'm in two minds to return them as the musical and NC quality is very good but like the others I expected these to replace my other BT headsets and expecially for business calls but there is no way that these in the current state could be used for business calls...!? 

profile.country.GB.title
PoochaLondon
Explorer

I think that I'll just return mine for a cash refund or swap them for the Bose or Plantronics as call quality is paramount! 

profile.country.GB.title
ComplaintVoice
New

I just want to express my frustration when actually being made an idiot by a company that promotes a "state-of-art” product (Noise-Cancelling-Headphones which includes a microphone to be able to make Calls) whole calling out far more than 300,-€ but delivering a product upon which 10 or 20 bugs have been “saved” to make it great and instead delivering a ridiculously poor quality microphone which hinders me to actually spend the money. That’s a filthy, greedy, disrespectful behavior towards the customers and a shame for a brand like Sony! Disgustingly arrogant and intolerable.

profile.country.GB.title
ComplaintVoice
New

I just want to express my frustration when actually being made an idiot by a company that promotes a "state-of-art” product (Noise-Cancelling-Headphones which includes a microphone to be able to make Calls) whole calling out far more than 300,-€ but delivering a product upon which 10 or 20 bugs have been “saved” to make it great and instead delivering a ridiculously poor quality microphone which hinders me to actually spend the money. That’s a filthy, greedy, disrespectful behavior towards the customers and a shame for a brand like Sony! Disgustingly arrogant and intolerable. Shameful and narrow minded!