Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

profile.country.GB.title
mustafa.arif
Explorer

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

I have just bought these headphones and the audio quality on calls is terrible. People I speak with on the phone report that the microphone is dampening my voice, making it sound echo-ey, whilst at the same time picking up ambient noise. Indeed, most report that the ambient noise is clearer than my voice! I'm not tryign to make calls in a particularly noisy environment - just a regular office.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.GB.title
m5barney
New

I have been dealing with support for months now. They simply refuse to accept there is an issue and state the headphones are behaving as they should. When I point out that a pair of £25 cheapies work brilliantly for calls, they just repeat themselves like robots.

Sony have launched a product with a fundamental floor and are now doing their best to cover it up. I am raising this through various levels of management until they admit they messed up. I'm not sure what they can do after that, but right now they have destroyed any brand loyalty I had. At the very least I want to hear them admit the issue exists.

Barney MacDonald

edited [personal details removed]

profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

Hi,
I agree they sound great and ANC is very good, I've had to return my first
pair as the call quality was beyond bad to point of useless, second pair
was miles better, not perfect or as good as the price might suggest, but
good enough for me to keep them, forget Sony support they will not help you.
profile.country.GB.title
Ajedesign
New

Hi, I've been doing some research and the poor audio quality is because of the Bluetooth protocol and its low bandwidth. When using the headset as a stereo headset (only listening), it works great and support great audio quality playback, but once the mic is activated, it switches from high bandwidth stereo to something really appalling and the playback quality is seriously compromised. 

Example: In Windows 10 you will have to different drivers for the headset. Using it for listening, it will be called Headphones (LE_WH-1000XM3 Stereo) but as soon as you start a Skype call or whatever, it switches to the Headset (WH-1000XM3 Hands-Free) profile. They are two completely different drivers/profiles, and if you stay on the Headset profile listening to music or watching YouTube, you'll really hear the poor audio quality. 

To my understanding this is, like I wrote previously, limited by the Bluetooth protocol. I don't know if this is because of how Sony has implemented it, how Windows uses the headset, or something in between?

Do we have anybody with knowledge of this? I will probably return my headset stating, like everyone else here, ridiculously poor callback audio quality.

/A

profile.country.GB.title
m5barney
New

That’s a very interesting idea. Why does the Bluetooth effect only calls when there is background noise though? Calls are pretty much ok if you make them inside...

Many thanks,

Barney MacDonald
edited [personal details removed]

profile.country.GB.title
Ajedesign
New

I only use the headset inside, so I wouldn't know about outside. But using it as I described above as a Windows 10 PC headset to make Skype calls is just terrible.

profile.country.GB.title
Mrtomgreen
Explorer

Can we keep this thread going? I have just bought a pair of these and have exactly the same issue.

When in a call, the NC stops and you can hear a version of ambient sound. Person on the other end of the call also reports the call quality is terrible - they can hear an echo.

This issue didn't happen with the mk1's and i've reverted back to these even with their broken bracket (superglue works wonders!!!)

Am taking mine back. Think these could be fixed with a firmware upgrade but i'm not hanging around to see. Interesting that it doesn't appear all the mics are used in the same way when in a call, if you feel around on the ear cup, it seems that only the bottom 3 mics are picking up (the ambient sound) the one on top doesn't react the same way if you tap around on it so not sure i buy that theory? And it didn't work this badly on the v1's - they provided a great call experience.

profile.country.GB.title
m5barney
New

Happy to keep it going. Sony Support are completely useless and just keep claiming the product is behaving as designed. They have never acknowledged that the issue exists, even when you speak to them on the headphones and they admit the call quality is terrible...

Barney MacDonald

Edited [personal details removed] 

profile.country.GB.title
DammitSony
New

I think there are 2 separate complaints here

1. Bad call quality, which I experience only mildly. Maybe I got a lucky pair. 

2. Too much outside noise brought in during calls. 

This one I agree with very strongly. Outside noise is basically amplified into my ears, making it almost or possibly worse than if I weren't wearing headphones at all. 

Such a disappointment because the ANC is the best but if any outside noise is present during a call with these headphones, they will be amplified into my ears and competing with whoever I'm talking to. 

Why do some headphones have ambient noise brought in during phone calls? Is it a safety thing? Because it's stupid if that is why. It's a very fatal flaw for these headphones and might be a deal breaker. Everything outside is suddenly so loud during a call and nothing can be done about it?? Come on, Sony! 

profile.country.GB.title
m5barney
New

It’s the same problem. There’s no issue with call quality if you’re somewhere quiet.

However, if you’re somewhere with background noise such as traffic, then both the ambient is over amplified AND the person you are talking to cannot hear you.

I have completely given up with Sony support now. It’s Bose for me next time. Nothing would make me want this brand any more.
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Same problem with my WH-1000XM3s they are great for music and the ANR is really spot on but when making calls, when there is no ambient noise the person on the other end suggests I sound like I am talking from the bottom of a well which is ok and managable as they can understand me.

When there is traffic noise or ambient noise though the caller gets drowned out by my ambient noise being forced on them. Not ideal.

Still as a music device they are superb and I do love them, they are probably not the headset you want if you make a lot of calls in noisy environments.