Join now - be part of our community!

Z Walkman stuck on loop after firmware update

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
zero5uk
Explorer

Z Walkman stuck on loop after firmware update

Hi

My Z Walkman is stuck in a welcome screen loop of the "W" logo, which artistically & repeatedly splashes into vibrant colours upon start-up and never initiates the Android lock-screen. This happened after "successfully" updating the firmware from 1.21 to 2.01 on my Sony Vaio LA1 (still running XP)

After phoning support to determine my unit's origin (bought new on eBay [5/6/12]) in order to download the correct firmware file (UK), I went through the steps via Sony Support: plugging in the device and turning USB mode on - the unit showed this, with the Android character being the correct colour. I invoked the firmware (0014) file and left it 10-15 minutes. Returning, I closed the "you have successfully updated the firmware" window and then unplugged the Walkman from the PC. I noticed it was already looping the "W" at this point and sure enough, that's all I've had since. I've tried multiple resets - once even repeated tapping for 1min+ keeping the screen black. Resetting plugged into the PC or a mains supply, but no joy getting passed the logo.

Plugging/unplugging into a PC during the loop does mount/unmount the Walkman as a "removable drive x", with the classic windows sound (I run XP) as a signal, but the "removable drive" is empty; does not appear as a Walkman, so running the firmware file again has no effect.

Are there any tips/tricks left to try? I've updated the firmware once before, some months ago, so not sure what has happened.

If I have to send it in, would I be under warranty? I know I bought on eBay, but it was brand new/sealed and inside a year of that purchase date. I have order receipts for the purchase date of 5 June 2012. I still have the original packaging/contents.

I've loyally been using Sony items for 15+ years. All my go-to items are Sony, from my DAB radio (CMT-FX250), to my PC (currently VGC-LA1 and before that NV109M laptop [accompanying my Sony minidisc player]), to my portable audio (Z Walkman as well as the X I loved before it and also the A816). But this could be my first real call on the support side, unless someone out there can help?

Cheers

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zero5uk
Explorer

Well after 2 weeks without success/a player, whereby I contacted Sony Support and bought another device, I came upon the simplest solution to the above via a kind comment on a "re-flash Xperia" YouTube video.

All I had to do was boot into recovery mode, holding the power + volume up buttons on startup,. and perform a factory reset.

Phoning and emailing Sony Support I got the same reply every time - they don't repair, only replace (despite it being a £300 unit!), so please contact your point-of-sale. Absolutely abysmal customer service....how about instructing me how to boot into recovery mode??

Maybe it notifies this in the instruction manuals. Embarrssingly quick fix, but if you don't know it......

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
zero5uk
Explorer

Well after 2 weeks without success/a player, whereby I contacted Sony Support and bought another device, I came upon the simplest solution to the above via a kind comment on a "re-flash Xperia" YouTube video.

All I had to do was boot into recovery mode, holding the power + volume up buttons on startup,. and perform a factory reset.

Phoning and emailing Sony Support I got the same reply every time - they don't repair, only replace (despite it being a £300 unit!), so please contact your point-of-sale. Absolutely abysmal customer service....how about instructing me how to boot into recovery mode??

Maybe it notifies this in the instruction manuals. Embarrssingly quick fix, but if you don't know it......