Join now - be part of our community!

bootloader unlock key for WiFi XpeTabZ

SOLVED
Dick_W
Visitor

bootloader unlock key for WiFi XpeTabZ

The US Sony page to get a bootloader unlock key insists on entry of an IMEI. It even offers help finding the IMEI for a, by definition, LTE equipped tablet.

I have a WiFi only tablet. Has no IMEI. The place the web page says to look for an IMEI on a, by definition, LTE equipped tablet, has nothing like an IMEI on my WiFi tablet.

Anybody know how do I fill out the web form to get a bootloader unlock key?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samuel1
Hero

IMEI-numbers are for GSM devices (devices that supports SIM) - IDID is just as you concluded the number we use instead of IMEI on the "WiFi only devices".

Without having looked in to it I'd guess the process is the same just that you put in the IDID instead of IMEI. Did you try that?

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

first you should have an IMEI number, if you can't find it on one of the flaps then check the box, also, are you aware of the risks of unlocking the bootloader as well as giving up your warranty?

Dick_W
Visitor

Think I found it on the carton labelled IDID. Can't find any hint what an IDID is via Google search, but it looks the part and that's one of the flavors of number Sony's how to find page mentions. It's on the tablet--just not where they said to look. It's the right most of the two barcodes.

Am I aware of the risks and warranty implications of unlocking the bootloader? Yes. I'm not aware of any such risks, however, for obtaining the unlock key but not using it. I may not unlock it. The option is important to me. Hopefully in a future update Sony will put more emphasis on including the features Google put in Android and extending from there instead of substituting features with style. If they do that, I'll be unlikely to want to put the AOSP build or any spawn of it on my tablet.

Samuel1
Hero

IMEI-numbers are for GSM devices (devices that supports SIM) - IDID is just as you concluded the number we use instead of IMEI on the "WiFi only devices".

Without having looked in to it I'd guess the process is the same just that you put in the IDID instead of IMEI. Did you try that?

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Dick_W
Visitor

I haven't tried the "IDID" number yet but am confident it will work. It's the right number of digits and the page explictly says it will accept "IDID" numbers.