Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot read SD card via USB

SOLVED
mytinfox
Visitor

Cannot read SD card via USB

When I insert an SD card mounted in a card reader into the tablet via the micro USB I get the error message "Damaged USB Storage". Then it asks if I would like to format.

The SD Card / reader works perfectly well in my PC and other (non-Sony) tablet.

I've tried with several SD Cards of various sizes (512MB, 4GB), all give the same error. File system formatted on the card is FAT.

I can read USB memory sticks ok.

Any suggestions ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ancientferguson
Visitor

Send it back, but don't get another Android tablet.

My point is simply that the problems that you are experiencing with USB connectivity are commonplace in other Android tablets. I searched high and low for this particular issues because my main use for the tablet is for photography on the go. I soon realised that Android still lacks in so many ways and it feels at times like I am using Windows 3.1.

I assume the reason you connected your camera to the tablet was because of the "Damaged USB storage" nonsense? I did exactly the same.

I don't know what country you are in but this guy ships to some countries outside the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Integral-Mobile-USB-Memory-Card-Reader-/360392059537?pt=UK_Photography_Mem...

This guy is really cheap and posts worldwide:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-INTEGRAL-MOBILE-CARD-READER-USB-2-0-HIGH-SPEED-M2-COMPATIBLE-/...

I appreciate that you are getting fed up with Sony's lack of response in here, I am too. But, if you want to start using your tablet with your SD cards via the micro USB port, then this item may well help.

I have already posted negative comments about the tablet, on reviews, in amongst the misinformed hysteria of positivity. As soon as they have read the comments they have started to find similar issues. Sony could have prevented this kind of bad publicity, but they don't seem to care. I consider myself and the others in here as simply beta testers for Sony, that have had to pay for the priviledge.I was looking to move from my iPhone to the Xperia Z phone too, but I am having my doubts.

All this aside, I would recommend trying one of those links and try the Integral, before throwing in the towel.

af

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mytinfox
Visitor

Disappointing that Sony appears to be ignoring this issue. No response from them.

ancientferguson
Visitor

Change your SD card reader, as I have mentioned in another thread.

Sony and ALL tablet manufacturers make it very clear that not all peripherals will work. If you have a USB 3.0 card reader, regardless of backwards compatible, then I think you will struggle.

Like I said, The Integral Mobile reader works very well and is inexpensive. I chose that one after reading about somebody with a Samsung or Nexus variant tablet, having the same problem.

If you want something that works simply, then Apple is for you.

mytinfox
Visitor

Af,

My reader is USB 2.0.

The Integral reader you suggest is not available in my country.

Having to shop around for something that may work is totally unacceptable. Sony needs to address why their USB port is so hit and miss.

Dont forget, it's not just the card reader that doesnt work. Neither of my cameras work either. Please dont suggest I go out and buy new cameras too.

If Sony are not able to advise what they are doing to address the problem, then my tab has to go back for good.

MF

ancientferguson
Visitor

Send it back, but don't get another Android tablet.

My point is simply that the problems that you are experiencing with USB connectivity are commonplace in other Android tablets. I searched high and low for this particular issues because my main use for the tablet is for photography on the go. I soon realised that Android still lacks in so many ways and it feels at times like I am using Windows 3.1.

I assume the reason you connected your camera to the tablet was because of the "Damaged USB storage" nonsense? I did exactly the same.

I don't know what country you are in but this guy ships to some countries outside the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Integral-Mobile-USB-Memory-Card-Reader-/360392059537?pt=UK_Photography_Mem...

This guy is really cheap and posts worldwide:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-INTEGRAL-MOBILE-CARD-READER-USB-2-0-HIGH-SPEED-M2-COMPATIBLE-/...

I appreciate that you are getting fed up with Sony's lack of response in here, I am too. But, if you want to start using your tablet with your SD cards via the micro USB port, then this item may well help.

I have already posted negative comments about the tablet, on reviews, in amongst the misinformed hysteria of positivity. As soon as they have read the comments they have started to find similar issues. Sony could have prevented this kind of bad publicity, but they don't seem to care. I consider myself and the others in here as simply beta testers for Sony, that have had to pay for the priviledge.I was looking to move from my iPhone to the Xperia Z phone too, but I am having my doubts.

All this aside, I would recommend trying one of those links and try the Integral, before throwing in the towel.

af

mytinfox
Visitor

Saved at the 11th hour !

Following af's lead I bought a cheap ($5) memory stick style card reader. Bought it on au ebay and it was delivered overnight, arriving today.

Here is the item I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Card-Adapter-USB-Multi-Mobile-Phone-SIM-Reader-SD-MMC-SD-HC-Mini-Micro-SD...

Plug it in with SD card from camera - hey presto it works,

So my problem is solved and I'll hold onto to the Tablet now, but the lack of support / feedback from Sony stinks. Like af, I was going to upgrade my phone, switching from BBY to Android, and was looking at the Xperia SP. Think I'll shop around now as I'm so wary of Sony products.

I bought one of their Blu Ray players as well with DNLA so I could stream music to my TV (cheaper than buying a TV) but that keeps failure on mp3 playback so is going back also.

My theory on the USB is that it's related to the power output, I don't think Sony are pushing enough juice out to power some of the larger / older card readers. Also might explain why camera's can't be read either,

Anyway - thanks for the advice, solution found. Pity the tablet is not true USB plug and play though.

ancientferguson
Visitor

Great news!!

Now I see why posting from the UK was out the question. 🙂

I totally agree with you about Sony's response. It all started out positive from the Sony people, but now I simply get ignored...... Johan, to be more precise.

I agree totally with your power theory.

pod-jf
Visitor

So this is where it gets odd/annoying. I've ordered and recieved the one Ancientferguson recommended above, it's arrived but doesn't work.

tells me it's damaged USB storage and I need to format it. How is this so hard to get working, this is my 2nd card reader that doesn't work

ancientferguson
Visitor

Mine actually tells me its damaged and this only changes when I stick the SD card in the reader.

It would be good if you had the same cable as me and that didn't work. I would love to hear Sony explain that one away.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UUSBOTG-StarTech-4-inch-Micro-USB-to-USB-OTG-Host-Adapter-M-F-/33093537867...

dnastase
Visitor

That is my strategy too and Sony is not the only device where I have to apply it: try all the accesories I have (SD cards, readers, drivers), find the ones that work and stick with them for that device.

It's unfortunate that there is not all of them work, but it's a reality. And most of the times it's not the a devices fault, but the accesories as they do not 100% obey the standards.