Join now - be part of our community!

European (Italian) Sim Card Help

SOLVED
warsklar

European (Italian) Sim Card Help

I'm in Italy and bought a pay as you go data card from Vodafone Italy. I have the Xperia Z 3G/4G tablet which I got from CEX. I was able to put a O2, Tmobile and EE SIM card in it in London with no issues. Down here I put in the Vodafone Sim and it can't unlock network. Is this thing locked to UK networks?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
warsklar

Thank you, the sim is fine, I was able to use it in my unlocked Iphone.  I called EE and they told me it was locked to EE, I then asked if that included Orange and Tmobile and they said no, but Tmobile card works fine.  I contacted CEX and will go there soon.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “warsklar”.

Have you configure the APN for Vodafone Italy and then“ select and enable” it?

HOME-->Settings-->(Wireless & Networks) More…-->Mobile networks-->

Access Point Names--> “Settings” (“¦” up-right corner)-->New APN

Name: Vodafone Internet

APN: web.omnitel.it

MCC: 222

MNC: 10

Authentication type: None

APN type: Internet

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
warsklar

Thanks, but no luck. Seems to be tied to T-Mobile?
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “warsklar”

I’m afraid, you’re right.

I take a look on CEX site and there’re Sony Tablets Z "marked" EE, O2, Vodafone, Unlocked etc. (just take a look on previous link).

If that’s right, I don’t know if and/or when and/or how tablet can be unlocked.

I saw on T-mobile’s US Community support site, that for some reasons, T-mobile’s support give the permission and codes in order to unlock temporarily(?) smartphones and tablets. Even, many other smartphones owners are searching the “way” to unlock them...

----- 

Edited by Drew - Commercial link removed.

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
warsklar

Thanks. I got the unlocked version. I'll check with Sony when I get back to london
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “warsklar”

I’m so sorry that you couldn’t use your tablet online(3G) in Italy.  :slight_frown:

I use it, in Italy and in many other EU countries, without problems even when I change the sim card.

I think that it could be a “faulty” Sim Card. Have you try to use the same Sim on other devices?

I aspect your feedback with the Sony’s “diagnosis”!!! :worried:

warsklar

Thank you, the sim is fine, I was able to use it in my unlocked Iphone.  I called EE and they told me it was locked to EE, I then asked if that included Orange and Tmobile and they said no, but Tmobile card works fine.  I contacted CEX and will go there soon.