Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with Internet Connection

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Techwomble
Visitor

Problems with Internet Connection

Good Morning Everyone.  Please treat me as a complete Tablet Novice - I know nothing!  I'm computer/laptop capable but touch screens are new country.  My S tablet arrived on Thursday 28 from John Lewis.com. I set my WiFi up and am getting 'good/excellent' connection.  However, when I try the internet it takes at least two attempts to connect to a website - sometimes eight or ten attempts.  The screen keeps going to 'webpage not available' or 'data connectivity problem'. I then go back and try again and eventually it comes up with the webpage.  So I do have WiFi connection.  Then sometimes when I click a link on a page, it does the same and I have to go back and cllck again.  This is happening with all the websites I use which are various.  I phoned John Lewis's tech department but they haven't got a Tablet at the moment that they can fiddle with, although they are still working on it for me.  My question is: Is this how Tablets operate, or am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with my device?  I have downloaded the 3.2 update.  The reason I bought the S Tablet is primarily for Internet access whilst travelling, so if it doesn't work it's no goood for me and will need to be returned.  Sorry for the long and convoluted question, but I am desperate and any suggestions would be appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.

Techwomble      

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
oseven
Visitor

Have ago at connecting to someone else,s  wi fi, a friend or family member . If you get a problem take it back to John Lewis asyou may have a dodgy wi fi card or bad wiring connection.

Whatever the problem if you have tried someone else,s wi fi with the sameresult, your  tablet is faulty and should be replaced.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
oseven
Visitor

I hadsimilar problems when I first got my tablet. Bought a new " n" router but problem persisted. Eventualy relised that my Virgin modem was faulty  , it kept dropping out. New one nowmuch improved but still occasionally lose signal and have to turn off for a  few secs. then its ok .

Have you triedchecking with the installed wifi checker, also are you trying to use thetablet in a room with poor reception? My dining room gets  much bettr signal than my lounge which is a shame as this is is where I use the tablet most.

Message was edited by: oseven

Message was edited by: oseven

Techwomble
Visitor

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to answer me.  Yes, I have tried the WiFi checker (several times) and it's fine.  I have no problems with my WiFi connection on my laptop and I have spoken to my service provider and there doesn't appear to be a problem there.  Have also tried the Tablet in every room in the house (well nearly every one!) and it's the same story.  So I'm still perplexed. Anhy other suggestions anyone?

Techwomble

oseven
Visitor

Have ago at connecting to someone else,s  wi fi, a friend or family member . If you get a problem take it back to John Lewis asyou may have a dodgy wi fi card or bad wiring connection.

Whatever the problem if you have tried someone else,s wi fi with the sameresult, your  tablet is faulty and should be replaced.

Good luck.

Techwomble
Visitor

Thank you again oseven.  I connected to my neighbours WiFi with no problem but had the same result with an intermitent web page connection.  So I've gone back to John Lewis Tech support and asked them to sort it.  I'll keep everyone posted on this one.

@7821030000024055
Visitor

I am having exactly the same problem, so if you find a solution please let me know! I can connect to the router at work, but not at home, or my friends house.

moh_tiger
New

i think the problem is to do with the wireless programme in the tablet. i get a good signal with my laptop but my tablet drops out. 

thecoulson
Visitor

I have a similar problem with my tablet. When I turn it on from cold, the wireless connection can take a bit of coaxing to connect to my (fine) Belkin N wireless router.

I have to disable wireless connectivity and re-enable; sometimes 2 or 3 times, before the tablet connects.

Once it connects, however, it doesn't drop-out. The connection remains very stable.

Am assuming there's something awry in the wireless firmware on the tablet. Hopefully Sony will recognise this and release a patch at some point soon.

There are a number of people with the same complaint on the xda forum for the tablet s, which can be found here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1294

Techwomble
Visitor

Thank you so much for trying to help me with this one.  It does seem that other people are having similar experiences with their Tablets which makes me feel less of an idiot.  Anyway, having tried everything that's been suggested, from this site and elsewhere and John Lews's Tech Dept and coming up with no solution, I sent the thing back to JL who refunded my money.  Soooo disappointed because I loved the look and the portablilty of it but it was just too frustrating to use.  I think I'll wait until things are more settled in the 'Tab' market and try again.  Many many thanks for your suggestions.

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
cinbor2
Visitor

HELP PLS.  somebody out there must have the answer should I send it back? I was in the middle of loading a purchased movie when it dropped out and it won't come back at all, all the other computors work fine with the network but not the tablet. It showes very little strenth and then it goes to full strenth, but it will not connect I have tried almost evrything including going to the store with it- it works just fine there but not at home. HELP, HELP. i"m drowning. Robert.     But I tell you I just love it it does evrything!!  (when connected)