Join now - be part of our community!

screen goes blank!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
michaelstorf
Visitor

screen goes blank!!

Hi, i have recently bought an S1 Tablet. Stunning piece of equipment but the only problem i am having is that the screen will go blank without warning. I can still hear that it is still on but no picture. It seems to only happen when i'm using the battery (not plugged in) and i do have the brightness quite high. Should these factors affect it? Please help, anyone. Mike

28 REPLIES 28
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi

A colleague at work had this issue and to turn it back on, they had to use the reset hole.

Fixed it by first resetting the Tablet via the menu including USB contents (redownloadable) and if not done, updated to 3.2.

Give that a try and feedback what happens

michaelstorf
Visitor

hi, thanks for the quick reply.I can switch it back on just by pressing the on off button and reopening the

screen.it doesn't always do it,even now typing this it is working fine off the battery.I will try what you suggest and let you know.still can' t believe how good this thing is. mike 

profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

It happened to me too. I didn't find out why. It's now several days it didn't happen.

I had done the upgrade to 3.2 since the first day of use 😕 and brightness is set to 'auto'

The screen went blank in the middle of a session (what ever I was doing) and the only way to get it back was to close and reopen the session via on/off button 😞

michaelstorf
Visitor

hi, it only seems to do it when it is not plugged in, so it has to be a setting problem for the battery.I have tried to put the brightness to auto and it makes no difference. it has now done it about 6 times while typing this.getting very frustrated!!!.d

michaelstorf
Visitor

hi

it seems to be the brightness setting. if I have the tablet plugged in then I can manually have the brightness on any setting, but if I am just on the battery then the brightness must be no more than around 3 quarters or on auto.nothing major to me, but would like to know if other s1 tablet users have similar problems.

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Hi,  Have just had the same problem.  And for the avoidance of any doubt this is not the screen automatically just switching off after 1/2 minutes. The title of this tread should be changed to Screen refuses to turn on!!!!

I have had the tablet since launch some 25 days and this afternoon being fully charged the screen went blank, a fairly nornmall occurance but it too failed to come back immediately when the on button was depressed!

All attempts to revive it were resisted.  It appeared to happen for me when I had removed the OTG cable with usb flash drive..  I tried to revive it by keeping the on switch depressed for some seconds/removed and put back the SD card.  Pressed the on button again, and finally the screen came back to life.

Thought...This is strange...Went back to John Lewis explained the symptoms and tried to switch the tablet on, (thinking I bet it will work, in the store?) when, Hey Presto! It did the same in front of the the JL member of staff, blank screen no response!.  I explained that if this unit was sent off to Sony and the fault was intermittent, that I may just get it back in 4 weeks with a response that it is working??  Lucky for me the intermittent fault was anything but, in front of the JL customer rep! He gave me an immedite replacement tablet without fuss.  That is why JL get my money any day of the week because life's unexpected curved balls are treated without fuss.  John Lewis Oxford Street-Thank You! It's really appreciated

It would appear to be a standard fault given the few others that have relayed the same.  It may be such an intermittent fault that many may just think it is a blip rather than a serious fault?  At this stage how widespread this is, is unclear?  I will certainly keep an eye out to see if it happens again on the new unit, and will obviously report back to the forum if it does.

omar_g@ap64
Visitor

Hi All

This isn't a known problem, but the Sony software team are looking into it. Thanks for raising it.

Omar

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Thanks Omar.  For clarification, would you please confirm your role at Sony?

I do appreciate that this may not have been a known problem at Sony, but now that it is (a known problem at Sony), would you specifically update this thread when a fix is found?

Thanks

Hip_Hop_Rob

dasuthe63
Visitor

Hi,

My Tablet did the blanking trick yesterday and inspite of repeated attempts with the on off button would not come back to life, in the end did a soft reset to get back, had the tablet only a short time but like it alot, don't really want to take it back to the shop, but if fault persists it will have to go, plus a negative review issued, may have to try the samsung tablet instead.

SORT IT OUT SONY AND QUICKLY PLEASE!!!

dave s