Join now - be part of our community!

SD Media slot - cannot be used for playback just transferring files

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
zabius
Visitor

SD Media slot - cannot be used for playback just transferring files

I cannot believe the SD doesn't actually allow me to play files directly from the card? It is only there to allow transferring files from the SD card to the internal memory?

Am I missing something.. I can just use a USB cable for this which would be faster and less hassle?

Surely an update can remedy this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

You can actually use the SD Slot (with a SD[HC] Card in it :smileywink:) to open or play files directly from the card (I do it all the time)... but not with the native apps (yet)... For exemple, to play videos, you'll need to use a file manager app like File Expert or File Manager HD, combined with a player like MX Video Player or Mobo Player. You can access the SD[HC] Card under the /SDCard2 directory 😉

Hope it helps...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mpattenden
New

benny is exactly correct and this is common misconception it's only the native apps that can't currently access the sd card to play files direct.

There are many third party apps that work I think alot of us use file manager hd combined with mx player

hth

Padster

profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

You can actually use the SD Slot (with a SD[HC] Card in it :smileywink:) to open or play files directly from the card (I do it all the time)... but not with the native apps (yet)... For exemple, to play videos, you'll need to use a file manager app like File Expert or File Manager HD, combined with a player like MX Video Player or Mobo Player. You can access the SD[HC] Card under the /SDCard2 directory 😉

Hope it helps...

smellyonion
New

yes but then you have the main reason of having a tablet-apps which need to be on the tiny internal storage.

ps1 games are a massive 500mb and they need to be on the internal.

dlna does not work outside sonys apps, so you transfer to the internal to stream the content.

video unlimited wants the movies to be downloaded onto the internal storage, even though it gives you an sd option which doesnt work.

this needs to get updated in the ics update otherwise I will return as it is not fit for purpose.

zabius
Visitor

Benny... you are awesome! I installed File Manager HD and voila.. I can play more files already! Thanks!

profile.country.sv_SE.title
msiwert
New

I installed the music player Power Amp on mine, and it did find all music on the SD-card.

It's only a time limited (2 weeks) version that you can test fully, and if you like it you can buy it.

bahobbs45
Visitor

I use MX Player it play everyting off the SD car