Join now - be part of our community!

Tablet S battery life

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alglais
New

Tablet S battery life

Hi I'm getting concerned that there is something wrong with my tablet.

A full charge is taking less than the 5 hours stated, usually 2 hours from flat.

On full charge if I just turn the screen off they battery will barely last 24 hours and that's with only an hour or two of browsing and game playing that is well short of Sony's claimed battery life.

One thing that puzzles me is even though I have the wifi disconnect set to when screen is off on the battery use it seems to still be connecting even when the screen is off.

What are other people getting from their tablets - as I've had it less than 2 months I want to know whether I should be backing it up and taking it back to the sony shop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

With every Android device I haved owned, the first month or so have led to poor life cycles on the battery then for some reason, after that it really goes beyond my requirements. Currently, it has been1 day and 21 hours since my last charge with 26% battery remaining. Using the following

Auto brightness

Latest update

Wifi to switch off with screen

Sound varies

Bluetooth on but not discoverable

I found that battery drains are caused by apps more than anything else especially ones with an autosign in option. Skype I found even if in the Taskbar did consume battery more than other apps.Use the built in battery analyser to see what your findings are. It might give you a good idea of what is chewing through your battery. As for claimed battery life, i choose not to follow those since they are usually done in some sort of controlled evironment with preinstalled apps etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

With every Android device I haved owned, the first month or so have led to poor life cycles on the battery then for some reason, after that it really goes beyond my requirements. Currently, it has been1 day and 21 hours since my last charge with 26% battery remaining. Using the following

Auto brightness

Latest update

Wifi to switch off with screen

Sound varies

Bluetooth on but not discoverable

I found that battery drains are caused by apps more than anything else especially ones with an autosign in option. Skype I found even if in the Taskbar did consume battery more than other apps.Use the built in battery analyser to see what your findings are. It might give you a good idea of what is chewing through your battery. As for claimed battery life, i choose not to follow those since they are usually done in some sort of controlled evironment with preinstalled apps etc.

alglais
New

Hi and thanks,

All bar the auto screen brightness and the bluetooth all my settings seem to be the same and yet with barely any use it still goes flat in just over a day.

On my current charge having watched about an hour of TV on it last night its showing 1 day 2hrs with 16% left.

I've kept looking at the battery usage but its mainly the idle task that's using all the battery.

The bit that gets me is that it seems with the screen off my tablet is regularly connecting to wi-fi to check e-mail I think. But i thought when the screen was off that was it wi-fi was off

What is the point of screen off/disconnect wi-fi setting if the e-mail app just overrides it. It seems the only way to prevent it waking and checking the mail server is to disable auto sync in g-mail but that then means I have to manually check while i'm using the tablet

This is very frustrating!!!!

smellyonion
New

have you updated the account manager, that really used to drain battery.

alglais
New

Hi just an update, I changed my screen brightness settings to auto and turned on bluetooth (not visible) and hey presto my tablet has now been on 1d 22h 29m and counting and is still at a whopping 66%

So big thanks to Watashiwateshdes for his settings tips

What I've noticed from my battery usage graph is that the wi-fi is going to sleep far more than it was before.

Given there is the disconnect when screen off setting I am led to the speculation that having the screen on manual brightness is affecting the wi-fi off on my tablet.

So while I'm very confused as to why the screen being on auto brightness should fix the battery drain problem I'm a happy tablet user now.

Thanks to all for your comments and help

IanIreland
New

I've installed JuiceDefender - it seems to help.