Join now - be part of our community!

Battery Charging Issue on Xperia 1

SOLVED
afunkymonk
Visitor

Battery Charging Issue on Xperia 1

Hello

I have a Sony Xperia 1 with a battery charging issue.

The phone was charging normally using the original supplied charger plugged into the socket with the screen showed it's charging, unfortunately now though the percentage drops despite it showing the phone is charging.

The phone will only charge when switched off and only with the supplied USB cable directly plugged into a USB socket, it won't charge using the black plug and cable supplied. Also, when charging, I am unable to press the power button to show current percentage on screen and the light flashes red slowly in top left corner.

I also purchased a new Sony charger to check if my charger was faulty, but no change.

I have tried a soft reset (power button/volume up), updated all software but nothing seems to want to make this return to normal.

The screen and battery act as normal once charged and it doesn't appear to have any rogue apps. I have tried charging in other conditions (e.g. Safe Mode), but no charging abilities whilst the phone is on regardless of mode.

Have you any suggestions?   Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
afunkymonk
Visitor

Hi @nolramlb, @drlmiles, @RottenFoxBreath

I have now resolved the issue.

In a weird way of coincidence, it appears that both charger cables had failed for some reason at the same time.

I ended up buying two new USB-C cables from SONY and both new cables charge the phone as they should, it's weird but now sorted.

Thank you all for assisting.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

usually a red light flashing means that the device battery is completely depleted.

try to charge the device using the original cable and wall mount adapter for 1.5-2 hours. observe device for any unusual behavior 

afunkymonk
Visitor

Hi

I have tried all methods and the only way it will charge is by using the original USB cable directly plugged into a wall socket without the black adapter, it only shows it's charging but drops percentage.

The battery doesn't appear to drop any faster, I can normally get three days of my normal use like it was doing before the issue came to light and it appears to fully charge it in roughly the same timescales before the issue.

It's strange...

drlmiles1
Contributor

As @nolramlb said, use the original charger and USB lead, and leave the phone alone for quite a number of hours - do not try to turn it on during that time. If that does not work, it's a hardware problem - either the charger, or the cable, or the phone is faulty

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

With all the swapping, and adaptors/wall sockets being used, have to swapped the cable over, and tried another cable..like did one come with the replacement charger you bought?

afunkymonk
Visitor

Hi

Yeah, I have tried all of the USB-C cables I have and it doesn't make any difference. One of the faster charging cables doesn't even charge it at all despite it charging it fully a couple of days before the issue came to light.

I will try using the original that came with the phone including the plug, and see what happens after five hours. The replacement came with plug and cable.

I am beginning to think it may be a hardware issue as the battery is charging fully and discharging over a normal discharging cycle.

afunkymonk
Visitor

Hi @nolramlb, @drlmiles, @RottenFoxBreath

I have now resolved the issue.

In a weird way of coincidence, it appears that both charger cables had failed for some reason at the same time.

I ended up buying two new USB-C cables from SONY and both new cables charge the phone as they should, it's weird but now sorted.

Thank you all for assisting.

Jonas
Master

Hi @afunkymonk, I'm glad to hear that you were able to find the cause of this!

Since it was the cable that came with the device, you may want to check with the Local support team in your market as it should be covered by the warranty and an extra cable won't hurt, even if you have bought two new ones.

Thanks again for getting back to us and have a great day! Slightly_smiling_Face