Join now - be part of our community!

Editing Xperia 1 II DNG files on desktop

profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

Editing Xperia 1 II DNG files on desktop

Hi,

Has anyone edited Xperia DNG files on the desktop? Especially the super wide angle files of the rear camera are heavily distorted. This is "normal behaviour" and is automatically corrected if - and there is a big IF - the image editing program has the correct lens profile. On the Xperia, most editors like Snapseed, or the editing part of Google Photos and even Simple Galery show dng files with lens correction. With the raw2dng app I could convert the files to tif format before uploading to the desktop. However, raw2dng saves only 8-bit tif and also crops the image a bit too much (there is always a bit of a crop if the lens correction is done).
Is there any Windows program you can recommend that correctly displays Xperia DNG files? Sony's own ImageEdge program of course does not support DNG format. Affinity has no Xperia profiles, CaptureOne for Sony works not properly with DNG files, best I could come with so far was the lens correction of Luminar AI.

Corrected jpg file (I always shoot dng + jpg)

With-Correction.jpg

and here the dng file

Without-Correction.jpg

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

The closest lens/camera profile that I could find that works on those super-wide angle DNG files is the profile of the "Sony DSC RX 100 & compatible". But unfortunately, that comes with a heavy crop, too.

The DNG files of the 24 and 70 mm lenses look okay, no distortion there.

Interestingly enough, the DNG file of the 70 mm lens is larger than its JPG counterpart (4256 x 3216 pixel compared to 4032 x 3024 pixel), so in this case, the JPG file is cropped.