Join now - be part of our community!

Very bad signal on Sony Xperia 1 II

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

Very bad signal on Sony Xperia 1 II

Hello, I would like to ask you for help. I have old HTC U11 phone and new Sony Xperia 1 II.

But I found out that with Old HTC I have much better Speed and Latency. As I work in IP, I did tests towards our loop used to measure lines, but it gives exactly same results as speedtest net.

Sony Xperia 1 II Latency - 38ms!
HTC U 11 Latency - 16 ms
Huawei Latency - 17 ms

The speed is even worse.

Signal reception about 10db less on Sony Xperia 1 II.

HTC had whole flat usable 3G, on Sony Xperia 1 II it connects but its useless. Speed measurement - unable to connect. 

LTE

HTC Speed - 68/40Mbit
Sony Xperia 1 II Speed 28/1Mbit

Do you please have the same experiences?
Or it is problem of my equipment? +20ms on such expensive phone Is really deal braker for me. 😞
I did 30 tests in many times, exactly same place. The same BTS.

Old HTC whole flat 1800 + 800 LTE. 

Xperia has problem to find 1800 even by window. But sometimes it is worse and it has even 1 signal bar on 800MHz. 100m from BTS. Really sad from such xperiences on high end phone. 

Thank you for your time

32 REPLIES 32
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello @SHribek 

have you tried to change your network type? try changing it to 3g or 4g only... 

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

Hello, yes I tried to change to 3G, it was useless. Latency over 100ms or without connection. 3G with Xperia has coverage only by window. When I inserted SIM back to HTC, 3G signal is back.

When not forcing it to other network, phone is on LTE. 

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

Hello, even if it is very strange for me, I have to confirm that LTE only mode is slightly better than LTE/WCDMA/2G mode. 

Looks like the phone is more holding on LTE 1800+800 (even if signal of this frequency combination is still worse than HTC. -110db vs -99db. )

All network types "auto mode" is more on 800 LTE only. LTE only more on 1800 + 800.

So it looks like it does not improves signal but forces the phone to hold higher frequency? 

Do you know reasons for this? As I dont have VoLTE, I can't hold on this settings now.

Problem of this settings is still very bad upload too (1-2mbits). On the same bts I can measure even 40Mbit upload on other phones at the same time. 

But sometimes when I need data maybe it is way to have better download. 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there, did you try to contact Sony regarding this maybe they're able to provide the reason for the difference between the devices.

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

Unfortunatelly Sony support didn't help me. Only asked for factory reset and software repair over Xperia app. After that for Safe mode restart. All was without success. 

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

So today problem escalated. 

Zero on signal bar. 

Attached my signal info. 

On HTC I have 5 bar signal. 

RSSI have similiar values. 

RSRP HTC -88

Rsrq -6

SNR 16

This phone is trash. Very sad that I can't return it whole as it is.

Screenshot_20210108-154556.png

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

Today morning again signal bar 0. One hour later 800+1800 with upload 17Mbit. Yesterday two missed calls. SMS received OK. I absolutelly dont know what is the problem. Now 800 + very good SNR 16 dB. 

(Old HTC to compare on the same place - whole day stable signal. The only frequency with worse signal on HTC was 2100). 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi, did Sony advised you to send your device for repair if the troubleshooting steps didn't work when you contacted them ?

profile.country.CZ.title
SHribek

Hello, that is what I supposed... But unfortunatelly no.

What I dont know now is if the Sony Xperia 1 II signal receiver / modem / antennas are really so bad.... Or if my phone is faulty.I have read some other users complaints, that it is really bad phone on signal, so maybe they think that this is standard.

As seting up phone (even from backup), (bank apps, icons ets are not recovering) is not ready within 5 minutes, I really hesitate if I should let the phone repair or they will say that it is standard and I will waste my time...

Thank you for your time