Join now - be part of our community!

Fingerprint Logon Sometimes Not Working

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Fingerprint Logon Sometimes Not Working

Hi again.

9 times out of 10 the fingerprint login is working well.

But 1 out of 10 .... not a thing. Have to use pin login.

Any one experiencing same? Any ideas/procedures to resolve it? Should say first time I've used (or set up) fingerprint login bar on the wife's Z5 and it's very useful but not yet 10 out of 10 for me

Many thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.DE.title
BBEN66

Only when my finger is wet. Sweating seems to be contra productive.

profile.country.DE.title
mamller6487

No problems, even with oily :slight_smile: or wet or sweaty fingers it works well.

But, if i lock the phone and will immediately unlock it again than it seems to "wait" or want the pin. Not my typical use.

profile.country.DE.title
BBEN66

Opposite is the case with my MK2. Problems when wet but no other.

profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

@andchalk 

it could help you try to register the "ridgy" part of your thumb like almost in between the joint..

profile.country.FR.title
Come0ne

Try to add the same finger one more time to add some extra maps of your finger.

profile.country.GB.title
roninxg

For me coming from the Xperia zx this phones fingerprint reader just isnt the same, its seems to really struggle to even acknowledge theres finger pressed against it. It seems to only be an issue with the main software of the phone, as in I have a few apps installed and they always read instantly, though sometimes give error messages.

profile.country.GB.title
andchalk

Yes agree that observation. Within apps like Dashlane and the like, the fingerprint is 100% working. In my experience. Very solid.

It is only on login to the phone itself (or to open the HW itself) that there is a struggle which is at least 1 in 10, can be more.

Understand comments from users about wet thumb or sweat. There does not seem be an obvious correlation between what I am doing and those conditions but could certainly understand that could be a limiting factor and will watch for that.

It does seem to be a parameter of the phone itself. The failure (when it occurs) is too solid. There is no evidence of trying, just no logon. And eventually a return to PIN access.

In contrast the wife's old Z5, works 99 times out of 100.

Only other condition is that it is housed in the new standard Sony case but there is no obvious impediment that I can see the case making that would come anywhere near close to causing a problem.

I does feel like a S/W issue that might warrant Sony taking a look at. A timing issue? A background process (less likely), something going into a sleep cycle? Maybe's. Hopefully Sony will take note and take a look. The overall phone is performing very nicely. Small predictability issues like this should be jumped on quickly to keep confidence in an excellent new device (and indeed market enthusiasm for a new flagship Sony phone) high.