Join now - be part of our community!

Fingerprint scanner issues - SOLUTION

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Sensination
Contributor

Fingerprint scanner issues - SOLUTION

It appears that the widespread issues with the fingerprint scanner are caused by the faulty hardware supplied to Sony by the scanner manufacturer and the only way to fix that is to replace the phone under warranty. Unfortunately there is no way to check if the unit is faulty without booting it up and entering the service menu so prepare for several exchanges until you get a working one.

Please follow this steps to see if you are affected and if yes, log a warranty claim with the seller of your phone:

1. Enter the following code *#*#7378423#*#* into the dialler.

2. Click on "Service Tests"

3. Scroll to bottom and click on "Fingerprint Test"

If the status of your fingerprint sensors shows as "Sensor not OK" like this then you got a faulty unit and you should make a claim under warranty.

It seems that Sony strategy of "cheap components in and expensive packaging" haven't changed since Xperia Z1 and as usual we are the ones paying the price...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sensination
Contributor

I'll just repost my Reddit comment here as I see that some people really are totally blinded... 

God, so many fan boys downvoting and people who have no idea how service menu and tests work (on a very basic core hardware level)... Even if your FPS works OK but the test shows not OK it does not mean that there's no hardware fault. It's not a binary thing where if OK then it's 100% fine and if not, it's not working completely. That's not how it works! The FPS is faulty and it is a hardware fault as 6 months after the release it still hasn't been fixed. Do you really think that Sony doesn't know or ignores that issue if it is the longest and oldest problem thread on their forum? It's a huge up on Sony's part (even if it's 3rd party supplier faulty hardware I'm sure Sony are still to blame to some extent, for example for choosing cheaper component or unreliable supplier) and it's sad to see people being so blinded by the company. Just to be clear: Sony is a heartless corporation that cares only about the MONEY, your money! They are not some startup enthusiasts trying to break through into the market and deserve no sympathy or any leeway! They are mature, highly successful, experienced company and if they cared, they have enough money and resources to get things done properly.

Feel free to keep your faulty $1,000 phone but I hope at least it some people will do the right thing and make a warranty claim. Even if it is the software issue, each warranty claim will hurt Sony FINANCIALLY which maybe, just maybe will make them consider in the future to care about software quality control at least a little bit or fix it in a timely manner. Money is the ONLY language corporations understand and by making a warranty claim you send them a clear message in the only language they understand saying:

"I will not be taken for a fool! I have trusted you with my hard earned money and I demand at least basic respect back!"

In addition, it's not the first time they pulled stuff like that off and they don't care. Remember left hand side photo blur in Xperia Z5, self cracking glass back in Xperia Z3 or yellow stains on the screen in Xperia Z1? Yeah, exactly...

Also, nobody fancies their 6 months old phone to be replaced for free with a new one without scratches and a fresh battery while also sending a clear message that they should CARE MORE? Once the phone is sent to repair centre the first thing they'll do is run these service tests and won't care if it's software bug or not. You'll most likely get new phone or at least FPS sensor replacement. And if it's a software fault indeed and Sony was just lazy, believe me once they start getting hit with retailers sending back hundreds units en masse that are not faulty, at least maybe, just maybe they'll think twice before releasing bug ridden software again.

That's why claiming warranty for this issue is the right thing to do for both current and future Sony customers and for Sony too!

Think about it as wake up call for them as they are currently sleepwalking into a disaster that will inevitably end in them leaving the mobile market. Pouring PlayStation and camera sensors money into loss making mobile division is only viable for a limited time as at some point they'll be FORCED by their shareholders to close it or start making the dough. It's a listed company after all and that's just the way the things are. It's not Tesla that can have money burning hobby projects on the side funded with private equity by the rich owner.

Rant over... Peace Winking_Face

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Jrnr
Visitor

Same issue, on Xperia 5

Hw 0x0603 

Daveydguk1
Visitor

I have error on Xperia 1 but the fingerprint scanner is work to a large extent. Think Sony need come clean on this

Zacabeb
Visitor

I don't trust the service menu on this.

It feels like the service menu reporting the fingerprint sensor as "not OK" is an error in itself.

That said, the fingerprint sensor is garbage.

But having the phone serviced or replaced on the basis of this indication in the service menu might just cause unwanted hassle and not get you a phone where the sensor works correctly.

P_B_81
Visitor

OK thank you. My reader has worked quite well since the premiere, but after the last update, still on Android 9, when paying with NFC contactless, or with bluetooth in the car, that day it stopped working at all, anyway !!!

Sensor not OK

Sensor HWID:

0x0603

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

My sensor works flawlessly both at unlocking the phone and I banking apps.

The service menu shows not OK, so I think that's an error.

And to hand the phone away for servicing due to that is mad .mine works fine, so who cares if the screen says not OK.

profile.country.GB.title
Sensination
Contributor

I'll just repost my Reddit comment here as I see that some people really are totally blinded... 

God, so many fan boys downvoting and people who have no idea how service menu and tests work (on a very basic core hardware level)... Even if your FPS works OK but the test shows not OK it does not mean that there's no hardware fault. It's not a binary thing where if OK then it's 100% fine and if not, it's not working completely. That's not how it works! The FPS is faulty and it is a hardware fault as 6 months after the release it still hasn't been fixed. Do you really think that Sony doesn't know or ignores that issue if it is the longest and oldest problem thread on their forum? It's a huge up on Sony's part (even if it's 3rd party supplier faulty hardware I'm sure Sony are still to blame to some extent, for example for choosing cheaper component or unreliable supplier) and it's sad to see people being so blinded by the company. Just to be clear: Sony is a heartless corporation that cares only about the MONEY, your money! They are not some startup enthusiasts trying to break through into the market and deserve no sympathy or any leeway! They are mature, highly successful, experienced company and if they cared, they have enough money and resources to get things done properly.

Feel free to keep your faulty $1,000 phone but I hope at least it some people will do the right thing and make a warranty claim. Even if it is the software issue, each warranty claim will hurt Sony FINANCIALLY which maybe, just maybe will make them consider in the future to care about software quality control at least a little bit or fix it in a timely manner. Money is the ONLY language corporations understand and by making a warranty claim you send them a clear message in the only language they understand saying:

"I will not be taken for a fool! I have trusted you with my hard earned money and I demand at least basic respect back!"

In addition, it's not the first time they pulled stuff like that off and they don't care. Remember left hand side photo blur in Xperia Z5, self cracking glass back in Xperia Z3 or yellow stains on the screen in Xperia Z1? Yeah, exactly...

Also, nobody fancies their 6 months old phone to be replaced for free with a new one without scratches and a fresh battery while also sending a clear message that they should CARE MORE? Once the phone is sent to repair centre the first thing they'll do is run these service tests and won't care if it's software bug or not. You'll most likely get new phone or at least FPS sensor replacement. And if it's a software fault indeed and Sony was just lazy, believe me once they start getting hit with retailers sending back hundreds units en masse that are not faulty, at least maybe, just maybe they'll think twice before releasing bug ridden software again.

That's why claiming warranty for this issue is the right thing to do for both current and future Sony customers and for Sony too!

Think about it as wake up call for them as they are currently sleepwalking into a disaster that will inevitably end in them leaving the mobile market. Pouring PlayStation and camera sensors money into loss making mobile division is only viable for a limited time as at some point they'll be FORCED by their shareholders to close it or start making the dough. It's a listed company after all and that's just the way the things are. It's not Tesla that can have money burning hobby projects on the side funded with private equity by the rich owner.

Rant over... Peace Winking_Face

mfuad
Visitor

Sorry, but i don't consider this as a solution and here's why:

Test says that fingerprint sensor is OK, but in reality fingerprint sensor works very bad. The last update (55.0.A.10.26) increased response rate to 50/50 % but now sometimes it doesn't work at all, saying couldn't process fingerprint no matter how many times you try, only restart helps.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

That rant from the OP, what absolute drivel.

That's not a solution.

How many people have this phone, and it probably works just fine...and how many have it and it doesn't work correctly...nobody knows.

The only thing we do know is that a tiny percentage of owners are vocal here, and that in no way could be used as a test bed for faults.

Sure if your phone does not work, send it in for servicing, but be aware you do not have an automatic right to a new phone, all they have to do is fix it, or provide a reconditioned unit, not give out a new one.

But how many people's have a test screen that says that it works ok, but in use it doesn't work, and how many like me have one that works just fine, but the test screen says it doesnt..

Has anyone pushed for a statement over it, has anyone approached the press or websites or even Sony to bring attention to it.

Has support forwarde this as a fault, bug or hardware issue,?

MikeB84
Visitor

Due to killing or having old phones stolen etc, I don't really have a viable back up phone right now so sending this back isn't really an option for me. 

Just checked this and I am indeed getting sensor not okay. Since the Android 10 update however, it has been massively improved for me and whilst it remains the weakest finger print sensor I've used for success rate, it is now serviceable even if it takes a couple of attempts. Sony appear to have made some software tweaks which to my exerience at least have made a significant difference.