Join now - be part of our community!

What we want to see in the Xperia 1 IV.

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

What we want to see in the Xperia 1 IV.

Everyone can add in below in comments, the functionality they would like to see in the next Xperia flagship.

I've compiled a list below and hope to see Sony leverage its capabilities to bring the best in the Xperia 1 IV next year. Although I do like Sony's approach in focusing on; Audio, Gaming, Photography, Cinematography, Cinephiles & Performance, there is still a lot more that Sony can do in this space.

This is the list of features I would like to see:

1) Better Selfie Camera- using Sony's own IMX sensor, larger sensor size, higher MP & support 4K 60fps video.

2) Include tech from Bravia XR, so utilise some form of cognitive intelligence, add in some of the features such as:

XR OLED Contrast Pro, XR Color, XR Clarity, XR Motion, Dolby Vision/ HDR10+ Support etc for mobile. It will not affect TV sales due to screen size difference and TV's have different purposes- Samsung is a good example of this- in fact, they optimise sharing features etc exclusive to Samsung smartphones for higher quality video/ content transfer and having a better display on smartphones encourages more people to get TV's from that brand if they like the smartphone.  

3) Leverage Bravia x Sony Pictures so we can get something like Bravia Core for mobile (4K content on mobile is currently too limited, Prime is temperamental as not all 4K content is available in 4K on mobile, Netflix is capped at 1080p, Disney+ is capped at 1080p etc). 

4) Improved Camera performance working with Zeiss and Alpha division- especially video, we definitely need an automatic mode in Cinema Pro, better dynamic range, multi-exposure framing for video, better stabilisation, higher bit-rate video, 8K, oversampling to get 4K video using full sensor size, more aspect ratio options e.g. 16:9/ 17:9 video in Cinema Pro, S-Cinetone, possibly Dolby Vision, 4D Focus, time-lapse, better video in the native camera app similar to the basic mode for photo pro. In general larger MP and sensor sizes across the board. If Sony wants to stay competitive they need to be better than competition smartphones, they need to realize that making an amazing smartphone camera will not cannibalize/ harm professional camera or DSLR sales- but if you put poor performance cameras on your smartphones, people will just buy smartphones from other companies such as Samsung or Oneplus and that drives revenue away from Sony. 

5) Add in more modern solutions and features such as reverse wireless charging, Night Mode Photography and Cinematography, 12-bit photography, 8K video, larger battery sizes, zoom capabilities, better 5G and mm wave support, new display tech (better/ brighter panel, higher res 5120*2160 etc).

6) Gaming should incorporate PlayStation Division- exclusive PlayStation games for mobile but only available on Xperia smartphones, PS Now in 1080p/4K, PS5 Controller Support, PS5 Remote Play, etc.

7) Better Software- move away from stock android and make software more stable, there are always problems with late rollout of android and there are always issues on older devices. Sony needs to fix this, bring back stuff like the gallery app, increase software support time for devices and make sure apps such as the native camera app, cinema-pro and photo-pro do not crash and allow photography and video-recording below 5% battery, as there are moments that are more important than battery life that once missed can not be retaken. 

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.RO.title
AlexandruRai
Contributor

Bigger, faster, OWN MADE sensors!

profile.country.US.title
jeoleo7

I think SONY should also give software updates for few more years than what it provides now. :slight_smile:

.... similar to that of mangoes and apples. 😋

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

I do believe that they support software updates for 2 years only and it will be really great if that can be more :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

Have you seen the Xperia Pro I?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/smartphones/xperia-pro-i

https://electronics.sony.com/mobile/smartphone/professional-smartphones/p/xqbe62-b

Unfortunately, only 60% of the sensor is being used, as it is outputting 12MP from a 20MP sensor. Which puts it at 1/1.66" if I'm calculating this correctly. Despite that the output is pretty good, it is putting an Xperia phone into the hands of content creators. Now hopefully, Sony can get direct feedback or collect data on how pro's edit photos and videos, to improve the auto mode to automatically process images in that way. So essentially make the usual Xperia line, i.e. the Xperia 1 IV, Xperia 5 IV and Xperia 10IV targetted at a wider audience, to slowly gain back more market share. And having two seperate pro phones that they can alternate or update for the more dialled in manual settings and niche's of prosumers. I do hope the unique processing (LSI) or something better is used in the Xperia 1 IV. They also can update the algorithm over time via software updates, so Sony should normalise a new cycle of updates, 3 android updates, 5 years of bug fixes & software support and 2 years of camera updates. So you'll get all the software updates of the current flagship and the next one, as most people are on a 2 year contract or cycle anyway, this will bring more people in. 

The ability to edit photos and videos natively on the phone, as marketed for the Xperia Pro-I would be great to see on the Xperia 1 IV as-well. Although, they need to use a bigger sensor than 1/1.66", ideally at least 1/1.33" if not 1/1.22" or more. But actually utilise 100% of the sensor. The reason for using a bigger sensor, is to enable down-sampling, so if the phone can record in 6K 60fps that can be downsampled to 4K 60fps, whilst using more of the sensor and also for better dynamic range & low light performance. Also, that could lead into a higher fidelity codec, similar to pro-res in the new iPhone 13 or the recording in Dolby Vision, so a hybrid format that has great output which can be used out of the box, but also leaves room to edit.

Also, hopefully we see a night mode this time, or as some users have pointed out the need for an option to enable more processed images & automatically trigger night mode where required (even if that means automatically taking two pictures in dim lit scenarios, one without and one with night mode).

The next phone is going to be a big market shifter for Sony and I am really looking forward to seeing what Sony bring to the table! Finally looking to upgrade from the Xperia 1 as-well, so this needs to be good. Also, Sony should at some point start thinking of either doubling in with Snapdragon or looking to get their own chip made that plays nicer with sony tech such as the BionZ processor and X1 for mobile (maybe even newer versions, cough cough the letter X and the letter R).

profile.country.RO.title
AlexandruRai
Contributor

For now, the PRO I one has:

1. Still crap front face camera not in house made!

2. Still not a 100% capable 1 inch rear sensor!

3. No one mentioned the brightness. Sony is capable of repeating errors!

4. Who knows how bad is the torchlight instead and what's more important that an 1-inch sensor needs also a blitz flash! Where is it?

5. Where is 'better pricing' compared to real life results?!

In conclusion, I don't know who is telling Sony to make up its ideas, but one thing is for sure: THIS SITE IS SUCH AN OUTSIDER WAY FOR SONY's DEVELOPMENT! NONE OF THE REQUESTED HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED! (Not to remember the fact that for other devices 1, 5, II, III still the shooting modes are not sufficiently software improved! 10II, III are lost, none of the requested in Sony customer support have not been solved!)

So: THANK YOU SONY FOR CONSTANTLY BS-ing  the most die hard fans and to all that are working for this site and being such outsiders being unable to do something great! CHEERS!!!

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

We are nearing the launch of the Xperia 1 IV, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as big of an upgrade as it should be. There are new rumours out, posted on multiple sites including trusted reviews:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/hub/sony-xperia-1-iv-leaks-release-date-specs-features-4206089

The only positives are bigger battery at 5000mah, which was long overdue, and new bigger sensors but only for the main wide and telephoto lenses, the ultrawide will be the same as in the Xperia 1 III (so no improvements there or new macro mode). There is also a bump in ram to 16GB from 12GB, which is progress. 

However, competitors such as the S22 are making giant leaps in AI photography and better ISP, which you can find more on at:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s22_series_galaxy_tab_s8_series_specs_features_massive_leak-...

There is a redesign that could be exciting, but I can tell you it won't look as crazy as some of the renders out there, I know it's the IV and needs to buildup to the V, but still can't see this happening, no matter how creative the "fan like" camera bump is. 

xperia 1iv render.png

What I think are the top 5 most important things to focus on at the very least, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks:

1. Better selfie camera (number 1 priority) & all round camera hardware improvement.
  2. Panel Improvement, brighter, 10-bit physically and better utilisation of higher resolution. 
  3. More AI & Intelligent ISP for better computational photography, finally add in night mode!
  4. More well rounded video shooting (include the Video Pro App, add in a few more functionalities and improve user experience).
  5. More investment in software, remove bugs/ crashes, longer support for updates and add in more unique factors to the OS.

Sony could really stand out if they up their game this year, improve the audio jack (almost wish another manufacturer picks up where LG left off), improves the flash (subtle change), use the 3D itof better (more AI tasks, differentiate different objects to render them differently and add depth in actual photo, improve bokeh etc. take a note from Apple's use of Lidar), prevent accidental camera launches in the pocket, manage heat dissipation better, allow quicker camera launch and stutter free video (happens for first few seconds of recording with older devices), take on board expertise from the alpha division in creating a new isp for Xperia lineup, improve photography for higher detail retention and more dynamic range (which Xperia devices are known to struggle with) and improve the videography capabilities by doubling down on it.

profile.country.RO.title
AlexandruRai
Contributor

Send these requests to Sony Support!

More and more is a proof that this site is controlled by some dudes that have nothing to gossip about how to turn on and off the device but nothing more!

Sadly, even after software upgrades I was right. For now, the PRO-I one still has:

1. Still crap front face camera not in house made!

2. Still not a 100% capable 1 inch rear sensor!

3. No one mentioned the screen's brightness - some people have eye issues. Sony is capable of repeating errors!

4. Who knows how bad is the torchlight instead and what's more important that an 1-inch sensor needs also a blitz flash! Where is it?

5. Where is 'better pricing' compared to real life results and top software improvement (video stabilization is not up to others using even small/worse Sony sensors)?!

profile.country.GB.title
JustinPM
Explorer

I think since it's a media phone it should focus on: 

1. Best audio DAC ever in a phone (better than LG's quad DAC)

2. Variable refresh screen to save battery, but also brighter (perhaps 800+ nits). Improve HDR

3. Bigger battery 5000+ mAh

4. Improve front facing speakers more

5. Be sure this phone covers all high res audio file formats like FLAC

Other things needed:

6. Increase memory to 16gb

7. Improve the front camera

8. Please please please choose the best processor available. I think the Mediatech 9000 is better than the Snapdragon 8 in every way other than gamin and that's slight, all while being much more energy efficient. Perhaps they could consider Samsung's new exynos chip if it's better than the Snapdragon too. I think the GPU in that phone is something to consider. For me, I just want the efficiency and the mediatech seems better by a fair amount. 

9. Offer 4 years software support

10. Give better AI for camera, so everyone shuts up and then you'll have a good night mode (not that I care about that). Sales will increase substantially if you satisfy all the supposed photographers out there. 

11. Don't take away any of the features that currently set you apart from the competition. We love the headphone jack, SD slot, 1644x3840 screen, etc. 

12. Try not to increase the price... It's already pretty high. 

If I'm going to spend big money, I hope you choose the best options available, like the best available processor.. Not just a snapdragon because that's what you use...

profile.country.RO.title
AlexandruRai
Contributor

All these at most 1000$ and it's like.no.other... HOT CAKE!

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

I don't think Sony Support would do much either, there isn't a direct consumer-corporate pathway that exists. Especially now that production is done in Taiwan, so feeding back to Sony UK would not do much good. The problem with Sony is lack of effort between regions and departments. There is a lot of expertise Sony has in the walkman, ranging from access to high quality mobile dacs to S-Master HX, but that does not come across fully in the Xperia flagships. Then there is audio expertise but that doesn't translate into good speakers, how is Apple with their iPhone able to make better phone speakers than an audio company? Camera expertise, computational or AI photography could be made with better isp co-developed by Alpha and Sony partner photographers who tweak photos afterwards anyway. They have the knowledge on how they want photos to look on social media or whatnot, so they could develop a custom isp for Sony to use in their Xperia smartphones and that would set Sony apart from all other competitors. Gaming wise, the Playstation involves a number of studios that could make custom games for Xperia phones, kind of like the PSP or at least add PS5 remote play or tie into gaming somehow. We could also see more bravia tech such as bravia core for mobile. The reason Xperia lagged behind other competitors is the lack of collaboration in Sony internally, they seem to be more content in allowing other companies to steal revenue from them by not putting out the best phones (to avoid canibalising other divisions revenue). Instead of moving with the times and trying their best to keep all revenue internally. Apple came into the game much later than Sony but don't hesitate to innovate where necessary, the iPhone became better than the iPod, the tablet reaches similar performance to the laptop etc. 

Especially across regions, Sony has not bought any wearable tech outside of Japan and a lot of products are region bounded. The Xperia Pro-I, seems like a great marketing platform, but agree if they charge premium they need better tech. All I can do is hope, that Sony wakes up and surprise us. A lot of their products are amazing from their TV's, the PS5, Alpha 1, Walman, Headphones, TWS buds, etc. but the Xperia lineup is lagging behind.