Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 Mark III

profile.country.GB.title
FrannyMendz
Explorer

Xperia 1 Mark III

I know it's too early to talk about Sony's next flagship, but I saw a few articles speculating about the next Xperia 1 phone. So I have be thinking about what I'd like to see from the Sony Xperia 1 iii. It's not a lot but here's what I'd like to see:

1. Wider ultrawide camera (change from 16mm to 13mm);

2. Keep the 3.5mm headphone jack;

3. Integrate the Photo and Cinema Pro apps into the main Xperia Camera app;

4. Introduce automatic Night Mode;

5. Introduce Astrophotography, like what's in the Google Pixel phones;

6. Improved screen brightness;

7. Improved 5G connectivity;

8. Maybe replace the 3D iToF camera with a LiDAR scanner, like what's in the new iPhones;

9. Introduce Macro photography, like in OnePlus phones;

10. Periscope telephoto lens with 5x optical zoom and 10x hybrid zoom.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Personally I don't care about night mode as its giving a version of reality that is not actually true. The Sony phone job is to try and give us the most accurate rendition of reality and so we cannot see in the dark then night mode is useless.

As far as astro photography though, i would agree with that but it would be nice to have a BULB setting.

As far as the selfie camera I am not too bothered, one can take a photo using the shutter release so that means why not simply turn the phone around and take selfies with the main sensors?

I actually like Cinema pro as a separate app

Agreed on the screen brightens but it needs to be more than 15% brighter, i would say around 25%

In all fairness the 5G is NOT  Sony's fault. Most of the world uses SUB6 which is slower but has a much better quality of signal that is it travels further.

The USA uses MM wave meaning MUCH faster data throughput but one has to have line of sight from the tower and even a thick pane of glass can block the signal. Judging by the very poor sales in the USA currently then it would be fair to Sony thinking "Why should we design a different phone JUST for the USA market, when its so poor" in terms of sales This would double manufacturing costs in order to just make a phone just for the Americans.

Agreed on Lidar but should be 3d tof on the 5 and Lidar on the 1 series. Remember 3DTOF is actually s SONY owned sensor as they bought the company who invented it about 5 years ago.

Not too bothered about periscope lenses, what i'm interested is the SMOOTHNESS in the zoom as it switches lenses, so one can do interesting effects like Dolly zoom etc.

Sony will keep the headphone jack for a while.they invented it.

Macro you might have a point but believe me i have already taken some awesome macro shots from last year's xperia 1.

Me i would want Sony to continue along their own way for a niche market, but instead further refine HDR and increase the sensor size still further. What would you rather have, a 1 inch sensor or a macro camera?

Some interesting points you raised there, cheers.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

I really hate to disappoint, but most of that will not be happening. No night mode, no massively improved lenses, no integration, no macro etc.

I've put up all expectations vs what is likely to be real based on rumours on this post:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/1-series/xperia-1-iii-might-be-iterative-and-not-innovative/m-p/3763...

Tags (1)
profile.country.DE.title
mamller6487

Sony will not offer a "best of all" Smartphone. Buy the one that fits best to your wishes.

profile.country.GB.title
bhabin
New

I personally love SONY smartphones.

I prefer to have a single sensor that is main camera of 12MP or less than 16MP. I can capture ultrawide shots taking two steps back from the current location, so is that really a need? Usually I capture photos in visiting new places and also having sweet memories. Sometimes taking shots of birds in a tree nearby it by zooming (10X) is really interesting. I would like to have video call in messenger with ultrawide selfie camera 5MP or less than 12MP . Taking selfie with ultrawide camera is really easy. 

I need SONY smartphones to be cheap. 5G is not available in most of the countries. Other than that good processing with greater than 4GB RAM and good processors to handle games would be the optimal smartphones for most of the peoples. 

I love the designs (no curved in sides and 21:9 aspect ratio) and its build quality. I would prefer to have body made of good grip durable plastics and thin cover of leather. More camera doesn't seems good. The thickness of camera in smartphones doesn't seems smartphones balanced in table. Taking night shots is interesting. Having 100X zoom just to capture moon is not what people so inmost of the time.

Most of the time people uses smartphones for playing games, web searching, social networking and multitasking, watching videos and so on. 

Smartphones lasts for 3-4 years and for that duration a good portable smartphone is what most of the people need. Good main camera for capturing photos and HD videos, gaming and social networking would be the ideal smartphones for most of the people.

profile.country.GB.title
Swinx30
New

I'd like to see more then 12mp camera. I don't understand why Sony (one of the best camera maker ever) puts only 12mp in their flagship phones. I use Sony Xperia 1 and when I take picture and compare it to my sister's Huawei I feel like I use 5 years older device.