Join now - be part of our community!

5G approval for Sony Xperia 10iii

profile.country.GB.title
nikospontios
New

5G approval for Sony Xperia 10iii

I live in Athens Greece. My mobile carrier is Vodafone. There is no official approval for any 5G Sony Xperia. I want to preorder the spice new Xperia 10iii and I am confused... Should I wait for any further information???

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi there, 

It's best to contact Sony Greece about this here

Cheers, 

Pascale

profile.country.GR.title
cvkefalidis
Explorer

I have the same question. Almost a year with Xperia 5 II and still no 5G support (Cosmote).

New versions came up, 5G is one of the main selling points but that's just marketing.

And of course no news from Sony. Even so, I guess they'll put the blame on Telecom Providers. I can't understand how Sony can't pull some strings.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@cvkefalidis wrote:

And of course no news from Sony. Even so, I guess they'll put the blame on Telecom Providers.

Well... They do control their own network. 

Not sure there's anything Sony can do when it's the network who need to supply a 5G SIM and enable 5G service on your account.

profile.country.GR.title
cvkefalidis
Explorer

Sure they do. It's not a SIM issue. It's purely brands to get certified by the provider. And it seems an unfair competition to me. For example, here in Greece, COSMOTE only supports 5G for the brands and smartphones available on it's own eshop.

That's why I'm wondering how Sony can't put some pressure on this.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Very bad form by Cosmote.

Networks also did/do this with VOLTE, only certain handsets purchased directly would get access to the volte service.

Very poor show that some are doing it with 5G bands too.

profile.country.GR.title
cvkefalidis
Explorer

Hey, it seems COSMOTE rolled-out 5G for Sony devices!

I just got the 5G connection for my Xperia 5 II. A quick speed test got me ~ 320MB download / 40MB upload.

christosflour
Explorer

I "upgraded" my previous device ( Samsung Galaxy s7) to Xperia 10 iii only to find out that VoLTE and VoWIFI no longer work on Vodafone network!

Vodafone Greece does not and most probably will never support Sony devices.

I have contacted both Sony and Vodafone support to no avail: Vodafone greece simply refuses to enable those services on my device, although Xperia 10 is volte and wifi call capable.

I would expect that since the mobile phone was bought in Greece it would be comatible with local mobile networks but surprisingly, this is not the case.

To sum up, if you intend to use your device as a mobile phone in Greece it is a bad idea to chose Sony.