Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi Calling Virgin Media UK

profile.country.GB.title
Nick-London

WiFi Calling Virgin Media UK

Hi I have an Xperia 10 ii - great phone.

My service provider Virgin Mobile says that to access WiFi calling the phone manufacturer must include something in the firmware on the phone.

Only Android phones from  Samsung and Huawei do so at the moment.
Is that something Sony could include in the software updates please.

Virgin is a virtual provider and they have changed their host which has a worse signal where I live.

Nick from London.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Well, Wi-Fi calling is a network operator related service and it has to be enabled from their end to be able to use it on your phone.

Sometimes, if you didn't buy the device from the same network operator you're dealing with, they won't be able to enable the service on your phone because as far as I know, it has to have a customised software from the network operator end installed on the phone, not from the manufacturer end.

profile.country.GB.title
Nick-London

Thanks

Directly opposite message from the one my mobile company gave. 

Suspect it is in the too difficult pile.

Nick

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @ Nick,

Have Virgin provided you with the unlocking codes?

profile.country.GB.title
Nick-London

No Virgin Mobile  say it is for Sony to include in the firmware of the phone. Seems daft to me. Only iPhone  and Samsung have the codes.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

I don't believe that there are codes for Wi-Fi calling service, it's just a service that they enable from their end mostly if you bought the device from the same network operator.

profile.country.GB.title
Nick-London

No they say Sony have not installed the firmware needed.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

It is the network that controls the WiFi calling and VoLTE functions on the phones.

This is why nearly all devices that run the WiFi calling and VoLTE are using network branded firmware.

Phones from other networks (or SIM free non network, i.e Amazon) won't have the firmware installed to use the enhance calling features.

If yours was bought from virgin, and it doesn't have WiFi calling, the 100% reason is virgin haven't activated the model on their network yet.

It's nothing that Sony can change as it's the network that haven't enabled this.