Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5_Arrows on keyboard

SOLVED
profile.country.DK.title
HeidiNT

Xperia 5_Arrows on keyboard

Does anyone know how to install the arrows < > on the keyboard on the Xperia 5?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DK.title
HeidiNT

Tried that too...but it only pushes the letters/words in front of it, leaving space between letters. I want it to jump over/past the letters.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

It is one of the 7 icons, "text editing" is what its called, and its a sort of "I" icon.

As below:

gboard.jpg

And if it's not there, it may be on the main bar when you press the white button already.

It's there from gboard version 6.2

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Pres the ?123 button bottom left, then the =\< button directly above it, you'll then find <&> beside the space bar

profile.country.DK.title
HeidiNT

Thank you for your advise👍, but I was looking for a way to move the cursor from right to left/side to side. The < & > will install the signs not the funktion. Do you know how to find the right/left arrows ⬅️ ➡️? I had the options on my old Xperia XZ2 Compact, but I can't seem to find it on my new Xperia 5....🤔

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I don't know which keyboard you have but you might try sliding left and right over the space bar.

My guess is that Xperia 5 has the Google keyboard.

A Google search will give you many tips.

Here is one of many sites that a search presented.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

What keyboard do you use?

If it's Gboard, then press the white cursor at the top left above the number bar, and press the "..." symbol, then long press on the symbol you want, in this case the editing one, and drop it on the bar, so when you need the cursors, you just tap the white icon, then the cursor/edit icon and you get the screen of options like cursors, copy, cut, paste, copy all, etc.

You can also move the cursor by slowly swiping across the space bar, for editing.

As for Swype, they have the option to have the 4 direction icons permanently under the keyboard, but they do take up quite a bit of screen space.

You will of course appreciate that things have moved on since the olden days, and now you can just tap on the text box to instantly go to a portion of text you want entered..progress is marching on..😁

profile.country.DK.title
HeidiNT

Thank you, I got many useful tips from that link 👍😀

profile.country.DK.title
HeidiNT

Thank you👍🙂, yes I have a Gboard but I don't seem to have an "editing" button to select from. There are 7 options to choose from?? 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

When you want to dive into Gboard then goto Settings -> System -> Languages & input ->  Onscreen keyboard -> tap on Gboard and find lots of settings

I like the Number row always on top and the Long-press for symbols, which you can find in preferences.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

@HeidiNT wrote:

Thank you👍🙂, yes I have a Gboard but I don't seem to have an "editing" button to select from. There are 7 options to choose from?? 

Update Gboard in the Play store.

Press the white icon at the top left of the keyboard, on the bar where auto suggestions appear.

Then press the "..." icon.

In there you will find the one you need, "Text Editing", or whatever its called.

Long press and hold the icon, and drag it to the bar where the "..." was.

Now when you press the white icon at the top of the keyboard, your editing icon will be there for you to use.

The white icon used to the the multi coloured Google button, but it was removed recently in place of the white one.

profile.country.DK.title
HeidiNT

My Gboard is updated and I tried using the white button in the upper left corner and pressing the "..." but out of the 7 icons showing none of them seem to have the right funktion.

Well, I guess I'll just have to do without it!

Huge thanks to everybody who has offered advise in this thread👍🤗