Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5: Messages App: Vibration Turned Off, Phone Still Vibrates

profile.country.SE.title
KaptenTeo
New

Xperia 5: Messages App: Vibration Turned Off, Phone Still Vibrates

(Where the heck is the board for mobile support? I was redirected here from the old forum.)

Hello!

I have switched the Vibration setting to off in the Messages app (the default one that came installed with the phone), yet the phone vibrates every time I receive an SMS. Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance for  your help.

Vibration setting is turned off.Vibration setting is turned off.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @KaptenTeo,

are you sure it still vibrates?

I just tested the setting and it stopped vibrating for me whenever I receive a SMS.

Maybe force close the app and/or restart the phone once, maybe something is in a hung state which causes the option to not "stick" after applying it.

- Nic

profile.country.SE.title
KaptenTeo
New

Thanks! The phone stopped vibrating after a restart.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @KaptenTeo,

glad to hear a reboot resolved the issue.

- Nic

profile.country.SE.title
KaptenTeo
New

Hi again! 

Sorry, the problem resurfaced. The test I did before was to send an SMS to myself, and it didn't vibrate. It still vibrates when an SMS is sent from any of my already-known contacts.

I found that each contact has their own separate notification settings inside the app. The setting I had changed before was under "incoming messages", and apparently only applies to messages sent from unknown contacts. In order to turn off vibration for my saved contacts, I need to go into each one of them and switch off the vibration setting. It's... strange. Basically, each contact has the option to click Information -> Notifications -> Vibration on/off.

I kind of wish there were a universal setting for the vibration function, so that I can literally disable it for *everything* at once. Edit: Oh, they seem to have added that with Pie! Under accessibility options. Let's hope that does it.