Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia keyboard

profile.country.GB.title
Mattucks
Explorer

Xperia keyboard

I would like to know if anyone has successfully installed Xperia keyboard on the newer Sony mobile handsets. Such as the Xperia 5.

I've always used xperia keyboard on my Z3 and Z5 compacts. I'm aware that the newer Sony handsets don't come with xperia keyboard. I think they come with Gboard. I don't want to use Gboard or Swiftkey. I prefer the T9 layout of Xperia keyboard. So before I upgrade to a newer handset I want to make sure there's a way of getting Xperia keyboard.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

Hello @Mattucks ,

The app is not on the Play Store anymore, and if you try to download it from APKMirror or any other app depository it will fail to install.

However, there are some posts on XDA Developer's forum that have the app modified to make it possible to install on any phone (I tried it on my Xperia 1 and it worked). So you can give it a try by searching "Xperia Keyboard XDA" and checking the first few results.

profile.country.GB.title
Mattucks
Explorer

Thank you for your help. I had a feeling I would end up back on XDA. I'll give it a try when the time comes. Such a shame Sony stopped supporting their own keyboard.

I'm holding out on buying a new handset because I've heard a whisper that there's a Sony Xperia 5 ii on its way. Slightly smaller than the current Xperia 5, which would be perfect for me.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Just download it from XDA, type xperia keyboard xda, into Google, and you'll have it in half a dozen clicks

It works fine on xperia phones.

profile.country.GB.title
Mattucks
Explorer

Cheers mate. Guess it's a case of downloading various mirrors until I find one that will work.

profile.country.GB.title
Mattucks
Explorer

Thank you! I will give it a try once I get my hands on a new Sony device.