Join now - be part of our community!

Sony x3000 & remote

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
SNOOPYREX.99

Sony x3000 & remote

Am learning all about my x3000 & the remote. One thing I find irritating is that the screen of the remote switches off after only a few seconds during a take. I knew about this in advance and how to switch it back on again, but is there any way this 'switch off time' can be set to a longer period or disabled altogether?

Thanks S

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @SNOOPYREX.99,

@SNOOPYREX.99  schrieb:

Just to answer your initial query – in a couple of weeks time I will be 85 and – luckily - most of my faculties are still intact and I’m regularly making videos of many styles, mainly limited by mobility issues. (My hand is much slower reaching for my wallet.) :yahoo: :innocent: :sob: S.

:laughing:

Well, errm, 85? I surrender! :beers:

But hey, I'm only a quarter of a century younger than you. So when you're becoming 100 I'll reach your age of today ( :fingers_crossed: ). Anyhow, taking pictures/videos and editing them keeps you moving around and your brain working hence it's good for your health. :smiley:

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
SNOOPYREX.99

Hi Darkframe. You will have to hurry to catch me up!

General report on the use of my Sony x3000. Whilst the basic picture quality of the clips are not too bad there are several limitations one discovers and try to overcome. The boot-up time from switching on until the thing is ready to shoot is about 30 seconds!! Therefore, on my first project Iast Saturday, I kept it switched on all the time. I think the battery lasted over an hour. 

The camera doesn’t have a proper zoom as such. There are three setting. Wide, Medium wide and Narrow. The trouble is that Wide angle is very wide, the Medium is still wide and the Narrow is - well about normal I suppose. One has to go into a menu to change this so in practice it’s best to leave it set on the one of your choice. I suppose if it’s used skiing downhill, how would you be able to zoom anyhow? (Skiing at my age – you must be joking!) 

Put it to a proper test last Saturday for the town’s Christmas Festival. Weather here was very dull and overcast with light drizzle at times. Not fair on any camera really. I discovered that I got a lot of ‘flare’ where the sky met buildings. Just the nature of the lens I suppose. However, I tried to avoid too much of that sort of thing. Its advantages are that it’s small and inconspicuous and being WA enables one to get shots in quite difficult conditions.  I have found that it connects OK to my Android smartphone with all the controls working from the phone but using both together will need some working out.

Having edited and produced a result from last Saturday's efforts. I have a problem that I really don’t know the answer to. A clip is attached. You will note that the pictures in frames are very jerky as I pan along whilst the following clip of another stand doesn’t seem to show this problem. What is the cause and - even more importantly, how do I avoid this in the future? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J0qvJhr0EvmwmEZGHaTjgY3N3ajI2OM5

Chers and thanks. S

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @SNOOPYREX.99,

that your camera takes 30 seconds to be able to record doesn't sound normal to me.

I have the fuction "power on record" switched on and if I press the record button when the camera is in standby, it switches on and records a video within 3 seconds.

There is a zoom function (albeit it always is just digital, since the camera has a fixed lens assembly), you first need to activate the zoom and then you can zoom via the buttons (up/down) on the remote OR on the camera itself.

What you were using  (Wide, Medium, Narrow) is the so called FOV (field of view) - that has to be switched BEFORE you start a recording.

If you want a more detailed explanation, just get back to me :wink:

I can also recommend the Sony Action Cam subreddit (if you would like to sign up to the reddit-plattform).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
SNOOPYREX.99

Thanks as always Nic,

I will follow up your words of wisdom and come back in due course.

S

profile.country.GB.title
SNOOPYREX.99

HI Nic,

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain some things. I have found the zoom facility on the camera but note that it’s a digital zoom and I understand the limitations of this and also trying to do zooming with my elderly fingers is just not on. I can get the same effect with minor zooms at the editing stage. 

What I don’t really understand is about the so-called FOV. Is that a digital enlargement or not? If it is, then using the Narrow setting would degrade the picture somewhat??? Can you explain please?

Regarding the time the camera takes to ‘boot-up’. Perhaps I didn’t explain properly. With the camera and remote totally switched off, from the time I switch on at the remote the time it takes to switch on the camera, and then make the remote connection so that the picture appears on the monitor screen seems to vary between from about 8 to12 or more seconds.(My stated 30 seconds was a wild guess – sorry).

I haven’t really heard of this ‘reddit’ business. I’m afraid that all this social media is a bit beyond me but I will try doing a search for it.

You didn’t mention the problem I had with the very jerky sequence??? I assume the video attached showed properly.

Thanks again for your help.

S

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @SNOOPYREX.99,

that is true, the zoom is just the same as if you would zoom into the video while editing.

For the FOV it is a different story. Since the cameras sensor has a resolution slightly over 12 Megapixels, you get "real" 1080p video no matter the field of view. The camera just reads out a different part of the sensor for each FOV.

sorry for the misunderstanding, I totally ignored the option, that you used the remote.

For the remote connection it is to be expected, that it takes a while.

You can take a look at the subreddit without being signed up - it is comparable to this Community forum here - everyone can look at the posts, but you need to be signed up to comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/sonyactioncam/

Sorry about the video example, I must have overlooked that.

The video stuttering is caused by the re-encoding of the video. I noticed the file ending ".mpeg", which leads me to think you have edited end rendered the videointo a new file.

If you used one framerate when shooting the video and another framerate when exporting, it can lead to said effect.