Join now - be part of our community!

a58 firmware update

ianfranc1
New

a58 firmware update

Hi folks,

I have an A58 with firmware 1.0

When I search the official sony pages to see if it needs updating the only page I find is for the A57 which says there is a 1.04

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A58/downloads/FW_SLT_A57V104_WIN#supported_products

As you can see in the link it is a a58 page with firmware update download for a57

I thought I would give it a go but the firmware update tool (on the page above) won't recognise my a58 even though it is in mass storage usb mode as instructed

Any help really appreciated, I 've searched lots of forums but can't find any relevant articles

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ianfranc1 and welcome.

I do not think there are any firmware updates for this camera.

The A58 replaces the A57.

:wink:

Bieomax

Aye it wont allow you to use the A57 firmware update on the A58 as the hardware between the 2 camera's are different. so it's protecting you from making a brick of the newer camera.

is there anything wrong which makes you think it needs updating?

Kind Regards

Mark.

What is wrong with 1.0?

It is video mode - it does not use full size(width) of the sensor. Video is much narrower than photo at shortest f.

I have to use an extra negative lens to get as wide video as photo.

Another misbehaviour reminded:

If you start recording video with external microphone pluged in and plug out external microphone in the middle of recording - it does not switch to internal microphone. From that point, silence is recorded.

profile.country.SK.title
topolak91
New

This is normal. The video mode does not use the optical sensor stabilization (due to overheating in previous models), it uses an electronic stabilizer which needs some space (pixels) around the recorded image to do its job.

Apart from not expecting Sony to release new firmware (other than maybe adding lens compensation for new lenses), this feature is definitely a design decision, so it won't get changed. The mic issue might be a bug though.

nilsausta
New

Actually it is not normal to crop that much. It even crops when stabilization is turned off.

sony_crop.jpg

serdar107
New

I've tried all  lenses but I was not able to take sharp, clear picture as much as canon 650. I think it is a firmware problem.

pkates
Explorer

I'm loving the a58 - - its entry level I know - but its still pretty powerfull.

The only thing I'd like to be able to do is have just ONE more custom button configuration.

I currently have :-

Func. of AEL button - AEL Toggle

ISO Button - ISO

Preview Button - Focus Magnifyer

Focus Hold Button - Focus Hold

Movie Button -  Always

What I'd like is to be able to leave the Preview Button on Aperture Preview but assign another button for Focus Magnifyer . . . the button that would make sense to do that is the Zoom button on the top seeings as its mostly redundant. I know I could reassign the ISO button for this but I like having a dedicated ISO button!!

Any chance of getting this SMALL update Sony :slight_smile: