Join now - be part of our community!

a6000 Wi-Fi and apps. Do we need them?

profile.country.GB.title
grandkids6

a6000 Wi-Fi and apps. Do we need them?

I have had my Sony a6000 for a bit over a week. What a great camera. Having used Nikon film SLR's for 50 years. I went digital 2 years ago, but this is my first venture into the world of CSC photography. WOW, what a joy.
One reservation I have is Wi-Fi. Do I really need it? Thus far, I remove the SD card from the camera, put it straight into my Sony Tablet S or laptop and download. Or, via the connector for my iPad and do the same there. Am I doing something wrong? (Some of you may remember using Kodak/Agfa/Fuji 35mm slides and then showing them on a Kodak Carousel, or similar, slide projectors).
The wizardry of APPS, leaves my at a loss. Reading all the bumph, it seems to imply that if you don't set up an account, sign in and start purchasing these apps, then you're not much of a photographer. My own philosophy has been, if the original slide was imperfect, it was binned and put down to bad photography on my part. Manipulation of photography was done then by using a huge array of different filters and methods. The idea of taking a bad picture and manipulation it in some of the software packages or apps leaves me a little flat.
I do however like the fact that the pictures can be manipulated via HDR in the a6000, something you couldn't do with 35mm slides, or even prints.
Some of the UK and other parts of the world have no internet connection, so, I'll have to resort to the method mentioned above. Some of the places I'll be visiting don't even have electricity. This worries me from a battery charging point of view.

So, having prattled on a bit. Do I (we) really need Wi-Fi, NFC and apps? I would love to read people's comments. Can photography survive without them?

A happy smiling old Grandpa.
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Hi!

Sure we can live without apps, Wi-Fi etc...

But to be honest, I'm probably quite a bit younger than you and started photography in the digital era.

Before there were apps, people complained about "want to see thins in a firmwareupgrade", "should have this feature", etc. This is where apps come in handy: you can "add" features that interest you either for free, or you can buy them. The developing cost is only paid by the people who want it, not by everyone who is buying the camera. Adding features IS a cost, and not for free as everyone wants to believe :slight_smile:

I LOVE to use Wi-Fi on my camera, not to transfer pictures to my computer (still do it by removing the SD card), but to wirelessly connect with a smartphone, either to share pictures (remember we are from the digital era :nauseated_face: ) but also to take pictures remotely.

NFC is simply great: how often do people fiddle with the settings to connect 2 devices with eachother? Just tap you devices together and done otherwise you probably wouldn't even bother, trying it again. NFC really makes these kind of things easy and a pleasure to use. 

Of course you can live without them, but a certain level of gadgetry makes things a bit easier and more fun! 

Just my thought of course :slight_smile: