Join now - be part of our community!

Aspect ratio in Smart Remote Control bulb mode, Sony a6300.

profile.country.NO.title
Kristian123
New

Aspect ratio in Smart Remote Control bulb mode, Sony a6300.

The camera is a Sony Alpha a6300.

I'm using the Smart Remote Control application which enables the camera to be operated from a mobile device such as a tablet or smart-phone.

I'm trying to take Manual Exposure or Bulb pictures with the camera set in M-mode.

The image size and aspect ratio is set in the main menu as :
Image quality: Raw & JPEG
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

The issue is as following:

I'm running the camera from a tablet or smart-phone with the Smart Remote Control app.
I'm using the bulb or manual exposure mode, but for some reason it only takes pictures in 3:2 aspect ratio instead of 16:9.

When I do the same thing, but use the camera instead of using the Smart Remote Control , it takes pictures in 16:9, so apparently it's the app that's causing the problem. 

I have also tried with different image qualities, but it did not have any effect on the aspect ratio.

Is there any way to change the aspect ratio in the application to 16:9?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Kristian

I'm fairly sure you will have to use the settings in the app, as they are based on your device settings. So the aspect ratio will be that of the device, presumably. The instruction manual for the app states:

• The shooting settings that can be changed using your smartphone or tablet depend on the model.

Sorry I can't offer a solution, but hopefully that answers your question :smiling:

Regards

Mick_D

profile.country.NO.title
Kristian123
New

Thanks for the reply Mick_D,

I figured it out now, it seems there is no option to change the aspect ratio from the smartphone, yet on the camera, when the Smart Remote Control app is active and running, one can press Menu and change the aspect ratio from there. This will change the aspect ratio in all modes, as in both Manual exposure, Auto and so on. 

In a better explanation, the camera has a separate menu for both the app and the camera itself, and the device connected to the camera does not have the same options in it's menu. To access this app-menu on the camera, simply press the Menu button on the camera while the application is running.

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Thanks for the update Kristian, great to hear you figured it out!

Best wishes

Mick_D