Join now - be part of our community!

Confused beginner

SOLVED

Confused beginner

Hi all, at Christmas I got my first dslr camera A37, and for the first half of the year I've been taking quite a few photos, mainly on the auto settings, I want to start learning all the functions and shooting in manual mode, but I'm getting a little confused, ISO, shutter speed, F numbers, 1/300, exposure, HDR etc

I'm trying to have a go at taking longer exposures for which I need to change the shutter speed I think? But can't work out how to do this, I've looked through the manual before anyone suggests this, wanna try taking some shots of moving water and car lights / street lights

Is there a good web site that breaks everything down for numpties like me cause I'm slowing pulling my hair out 🙂

Cheers
Kev
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kev and welcome.

Have a look in your manual at "Shutter Priority" and "Aperture Priority". Pages 90 to 99.

To 'blurr' moving objects like water or cars, you need to use a slow shutter speed.  Choose 'Shutter Priority' mode and set a slow shutter speed.  Your Alpha will then choose the correct Aperture to give the correct exposure.  The speed to set will depend on how quickly the object is moving - for a fast car 1/25 Sec will blurr the image.  The same will apply to fast moving water, but for slower moving water you may need to use a slower speed and you will almost certainly need a tripod.  Have a look at Page 94 of your manual.

Aperture Priority Mode allows you to set the f stop aperture value and the camera will automatically choose the correct shutter speed.  If you choose the lowest f value (probably f 3.5) only objects close to the focusing distance will be clearly in focus but nearer and further objects will be blurred.  If you choose a high F value (f16), the 'depth of field' wil be wider with more close and far objects in focus.  Have a look at Page 92 of your manual.

Obviously, you are limited to the maximum and minimum values the camera can offer and you must always balance the Speed and Aperture.

Have a play around with these two settings and let us know how you get on.  Don't be afraid to come back for more advice - there is no such thing as a silly question here!

:slight_smile:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi,

Have you tried our HowTos and FAQs section? It is full off little video tutorials breaking down each of these terms one by one. And if 1 of them is missing just post a question here to further explain and I am sure you will quickly get the necessary help.

Enjoy
Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)

Hi Nico, thanks for the reply, no I haven't looked at the howto and FAQ sections my excuse is I was very tired last night :slight_smile: I will have a look now,

Thanks again

Kevin 🙂

Ok I've viewed the videos, and can't find an answer to what I'm looking for, how do you use shutter speed to make water a blur and use it to make light twinkle and look starlike :slight_smile:

Thanks
Kev
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kev and welcome.

Have a look in your manual at "Shutter Priority" and "Aperture Priority". Pages 90 to 99.

To 'blurr' moving objects like water or cars, you need to use a slow shutter speed.  Choose 'Shutter Priority' mode and set a slow shutter speed.  Your Alpha will then choose the correct Aperture to give the correct exposure.  The speed to set will depend on how quickly the object is moving - for a fast car 1/25 Sec will blurr the image.  The same will apply to fast moving water, but for slower moving water you may need to use a slower speed and you will almost certainly need a tripod.  Have a look at Page 94 of your manual.

Aperture Priority Mode allows you to set the f stop aperture value and the camera will automatically choose the correct shutter speed.  If you choose the lowest f value (probably f 3.5) only objects close to the focusing distance will be clearly in focus but nearer and further objects will be blurred.  If you choose a high F value (f16), the 'depth of field' wil be wider with more close and far objects in focus.  Have a look at Page 92 of your manual.

Obviously, you are limited to the maximum and minimum values the camera can offer and you must always balance the Speed and Aperture.

Have a play around with these two settings and let us know how you get on.  Don't be afraid to come back for more advice - there is no such thing as a silly question here!

:slight_smile: