Join now - be part of our community!

dim EVF with wireless trigger - a55

profile.country.en_GB.title
crinklesony
Visitor

dim EVF with wireless trigger - a55

Hello,

I've just purchased an a55 and I intend to use it with studio strobes.

However, when I attached a wireless trigger to the hotshoe, then set the exposure in 'M' mode, the EVF goes very dim and I cannot see the subject.

If I attach a Sony speedlight, the brightness of the EVF is compensated for, even thought the exposure settings are the same as when I had the wireless trigger attached.

I could use the speedlight to trigger the studio strobes, but I would prefer not to as it 'pollutes' the exposure with light from it (I want to light the subject solely with the strobes).

Clearly the a55 is not recognising the wireless trigger as it ideally should.. is this something that we have to wait for a firmware update for?

Thanks,

Simon.

6 REPLIES 6
Tiberus
New

I have the exact same problem

It seems to be a design oversight as the ST1AM Flash adapter (which "allows safe connection of external studio flashes to a camera body") is available as a compatible accessory for the a55 on sony.co.uk and has been reported by users of other forums to not affect the brightness of the EFV...which currently makes it unusable with this camera

This makes me believe that it's a overlooked bug. Hopefully it will soon be fixed in a firmware update when Sony realise how this cripples an otherwise excellent camera

Thanks,

John

Dariusz1989
New

I got that same problem Aaaa !!!! / on lcd tho.

Just got studio and I cant see anything !

Congrats sony ur camera goes to bin and im going to cannon/nikon ! Lack of tethreting and this makes it too much of a issues to rely on ur equipment.

WTS. Sony A55V+18-55 & +70-300 lens

Message was edited by: Dariusz1989

Tiberus
New

New firmware has been released today!.....and it completely ignores  this easily fixable issue but i'm glad I now have new picture modes so I  can make "arty" pictures.

This will save me the many painstaking hours it usually takes me to make everything black and white whilst leaving a single colour.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Dariusz1989
New

Heya

Hang on, did u just write that sony released new software and its not FIXING THE DISPLAY ?

Jezus they are idiots, I hope they gona get hack again, and again and again and again untill they actually start listening to customers !

markjohnfarrell
Visitor

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this issue?

i have an external flash (Not Sony) and the evf does the same, i do a lot of nightclub photography and this is a huge pain. i am wanting to invest in some studio lights too but am slightly concerned if im going to struggle due to this issue.

gimp69
Visitor

There is no firmware fix because it is there by design, it is not a "bug" as this thread suggests and will not get "fixed" in future firmware because Sony don't care about it!  I guess Sony don't consider the A3x/A5x series as studio cameras, yes it is pathetic when Canon and Nikon (and Sony) dSLRs can be used in a studio.  It is a very simple firmware change...

My A77 has a setting that disables the simulation of exposure, so works fine in manual with studio flash.  I guess the A65 also has this setting, but I am not certain.  I checked this before upgrading from the A700, had it not I would have binned Sony forever and bought a Nikon D7000.  I am still fuming that even the A77 does not have tethering like the A700 did, but I decided to live without it.

There is a rumour that the A57 is due to be announced on the 13th of March 2012, I wonder if they have included the A77 option in that firmware?  It's about time they did.

With studio lighting you can pop-up the on-board flash to compose your shot and then pop it down again to take the shot.  Or you can cover the on-board flash with a sock to block the light output, the space inside the sock allows the heat to dissipate, the flash gets VERY hot.

There are also IR covers for the pop-up flash, these block the visible flash output but allow the IR through to trigger slaves, a strip of exposed film taped to the flash will do the same.

As for your third-party external flash, it is clearly not fully compatible, do it properly and buy a Sony. :slight_smile:

I sometimes wonder if Sony ever give their cameras to real photographers to test...