Join now - be part of our community!

f stops A7ii

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
pauldbaker95
Explorer

f stops A7ii

Hi all

Silly question, I am fairly new to photography and have purchased a Sony a7ii. I thought the lowest f stop on the lens that I bought for it was f/2.0 as it is the FE 2/28 (28mm) prime lens. However, now I am using it, the lowest f stop achievable in the settings is f/3.5. I understood that the lowest setting was going to be 2.0. Is that wrong? If someone could explain to me without me looking daft!

Thanks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

With the top wheel on Manual mode you must be able to set f/2. 🤔

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Yes, you must be able to stop up till f/2.

Which is the mode you are using to shoot?

profile.country.GB.title
pauldbaker95
Explorer

Hi thanks for the reply. What mode do you mean? It is manual mode and manual focus if that helps?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

With the top wheel on Manual mode you must be able to set f/2. 🤔

profile.country.GB.title
pauldbaker95
Explorer

Hi thanks for all your help. I forgot I had also put my fisheye converter onto the 28mm lens which was the reason it was only going down to f/3.5 Once I removed it, I was able to go fully down to 2.0. Thank you and sorry to waste your time but it did help to know I should have been pursuing the 2.0 setting! Thanks again :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Well done, have good light!

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

This morning I read what I report below, but without the fisheye's information I didn't give it any weight:
https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=gb&lang=en&mdl=ILCE...
When a dedicated ultra-wide converter (SEL075UWC) is attached, the Exif lens name is recorded as "FE 21mm F2.8." Also, when the dedicated fisheye converter (SEL057FEC) is attached, the Exif lens name is recorded as "FE 16mm F3.5 Fisheye."
profile.country.GB.title
pauldbaker95
Explorer

Ah yes, when I was looking at my photos on my iPhone after I transferred them, I wondered why the metadata said 16mm when it is a 28mm. All very useful information thank you. Sorry, I know these things may be simple to others but we all have to learn somewhere I guess! Thanks again, happy new year!