Join now - be part of our community!

Focus issues in Macro Mode on NEX5 using E2.8

profile.country.en_GB.title
yochong
Visitor

Focus issues in Macro Mode on NEX5 using E2.8

Hi, having migrated from a Canon G10, the NEX5 is outstanding and superior in every way but I'm really struggling with Macro Mode on both the 2.8 and 3.5/5.6 -  it's almost impossible to get the camera to focus and get a clear shot. I'm reduced to taking a shot from about 18" away and processing it on the PC. I'm setting the camera to Scene Selection, Macro setting. All I get is a blur, and each time I try and force a re-focus, I get a different pre-shoot screen image. What am I doing wrong?

These two shots were taken with the source brightly lit from a 60watt tungsten bulb desk lamp, with the lens about 5" away from the label. The blurred one was with Macro on, the clearer was with the camera set to fully auto.This was the best I could do.  Many thanks in advance of any help :slight_smile: Roger

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

As far as I can see, the minimum focusing distance for both the 16mm and the 18/55mm lenses is just under 10 inches (9.4 and 9.8 inches respectively).

This makes the 16mm E2.8 lens a very poor lens for macro shooting as the minimum coverage area is a massive 10.1 X 6.7 inches.

For macro shooting I use the E18-55 OSS.  When set to maximum zoom @ 55mm this lens captures a minimum coverage area of about 2.98 X 1.99 inches.

I don't think the Macro Shooting Mode changes the capabilities of the lenses or the focusing distances - it just seems to change the AF sensor to Single Shot and the metering to Multi.

:wink:

yochong
Visitor

OK, thank you - that makes sense and I clearly need to understand more about focal lengths of different lenses and the way they change both depth of field, focus etc. It's a learning curve coming from a fixed lens compact. I have the E18-55 OSS so I should clearly experiment with that more. Now I think about it, it was a dumb question - why would I think a wider angle like the E16 would be better for macro? Doh :smileyblush:

I just replicated the shot with my Canon G10 and got so close the lens was actually touching the package (you can see the shadow) and it's not bad at all. The lens on that is zoom 6/30 and I wish that the Sony (which does just about everything better than the G10) could do this also.

So the follow on question is, if I buy a mount adapator for A lenses, any suggestions as to what lens I could buy that would duplicate what the G10 does? I love extreme close-ups and to lose that ability would deter me from keeping the camera :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There are 2 macro lenses available using the LA/EA1 adapter: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/dslr/lenses

:wink:

yochong
Visitor

So now the journey leads me, expensively, to  the SAL-100M28 A mount lens at around £500! Anyone with experience using this lens with the NEX5? Sorely tempted to buy one :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert