Join now - be part of our community!

Lens adapter for SLT-A99 needed.

hwVHpXXL

Lens adapter for SLT-A99 needed.

I read somewhere that Sony sell a range of lens adapters/adaptors for the A99 camera.

I am used to the 24-120mm zoom on my DSC-R1 (and the live EVF!)..

Nikon's AF-S 24-120mm f/4.0G ED VR would seem to fit the bill.

I have searched Google without anything definite so

Is there a Sony or a third party adapter which would enable me to use the Nikon lens on the A99?

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Bieomax

Hi Again, Sony only sell a lens adapter so you can mount the Sony A mount lenses (A99/77/65/58 etc) to the new Sony E mount camera's (A7/A7r/Nex7-6-5-3)

The lens adapters you've probably heard of are for the Sony E mount cameras as sony has release the lens electronic protocols to third party makers (Metabones is one) who have used it to make lens adapters which let you mount Nikon/Canon/etc. with some of the lenses functionality, there are also 'dumb' adaptors available cheaply which allow you to mount the lenses but you'll have to manual focus the lens and any inlens stabilisation wont work.

What the adapters are doing is correcting the lens flange to sensor distance. The sony A mount cameras have a distance of about 44.5mm from the lens flange to the sensor, the Sony E mount camera's have about 18mm which is what makes it so adaptable to other lenses.

nikon's F mount has about 46.5mm distance. so its easier to use on the e mount cameras then the A mount.

the easiest lenses to use on an A mount camera is the ones with the M42 screw thread as with a simple and cheap screw on mount adapter you can use them on the camera's, I've been using an old Helios 44 58mm f2 lens on my A57 (a mount)

for my Nex-5n (e mount) i have an Nikkor 50mm f1.2 lens. i also have something which is called a speedbooster adapter which is an adapter with another lens in which refocuses full frame lenses light on to a APS-C size sensor. What it gives me is a wider field of view (similar to what you would see on a FF camera) and an extra bit of light which means i can raise the shutter speed by 1 or 2 sets.

hwVHpXXL

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

As I replied to Bieomax I am at the bottom of the learning curve where a new camera is concerned so I will hang on to my DSC-R1 until things clarify.

Peter

hwVHpXXL

Thank you Beiomax,

I have at last found my perfect camera to replace my R1...

It must have a live EVF, a fully swivelling screen and a superb zoom lens.

Come in the Sony SLT-A99 camera and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens.

Just a couple of problems: there doesn't seem to be an adapter and I will need to clear the £4300+ with the bank manager.

Peter

Tags (3)
Bieomax

Aye that sounds like it would be a dream match shame the a99 can't take adapted lenses like the a7 and a7r camera's can.

Have you looked at the Sony carl zeiss 24-70mm 2.8? I hear good things about that.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-Carl-Zeiss-Vario-Sonnar-T*-24-70mm-F2.8-ZA-SSM_lens438.html
hwVHpXXL

I looked at the Zeiss lens you mention

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/600-zeiss2470f28ff?start=1

It isn't in the same league as the Canon, understandably because it is about £800 cheaper!

(One wag reviewer said that the 'II' in the Canon model number was to to indicate that it was twice the price of the previous model!).

Going through every review of every interchangeable zoom lens starting from 24mm equiv. they are all dire even with only 3X zoom except the Canon. I don't think it can all be put down to the gap between the lens and the sensor because of that mirror. And so I think the image in my R1 must be 'digitally enhanced' fixed-lens-wise. I don't have the means to objectively test the R1 but going by all the test parameters in the reviews there is nothing comparable (the Sony RX10 falls down because of its tiny sensor thus poor resolution).

I can wait...maybe Canon will get round to fitting live EVF's instead of OVF's so that I can see what I am going to get.

Bieomax

How do you mean? just because the price is more isn't a great guide line, as looking through Photozone and comparing the lenses the Canon is sharper at all zoom ranges at 2.8, but then only leads the zeiss at 24mm zoom, where as the zeiss once stopped down it blows away the canon at the other focal lengths.

Also this test was done on the A900 the A99 will apply a lens correction profile to the image negating the distortion effect (probably like your current R1)

The best thing i think you could do is hire an A99 with the Zeiss for a Weekend and see how it treats you as if your going to spend that amount of money its worth doing, as you can read others reviews until your blue in the face and still not reach a agreement, actually using it yourself and having a hands experiance is the ultimate test.