NEX3 preview button?

Hi...does my NEX3 have a live preview button...or something similar?  thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi iprior.

You do not need a live preview button on a NEX camera because, unlike a DSLR,  the lens aperture actually closes down during focusing and you see the exact image of what the sensor will capture on the camera's LCD screen during focusing.

On the mirrorless NEX cameras, the LCD screen is set to 'Live View' by default. This means you will always see exactly what the camera is going to capture on the LCD screen when you focus by half pressing the shutter. Changes you make to exposure, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation (and consequently Depth of Field) are immediately shown on the LCD.

You only need a live preview on a (D)SLR camera which focusses with the lens fully open - this stops down when the mirror lifts and the shutter fires.

On later NEX cameras, I think from the NEX-5n and later, it is possible to turn off 'live view' in the settings as this can be desireable when using a flash in very low light. I think this only works in PASM modes.

Hope that makes sense???

:wink:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi iprior.

You do not need a live preview button on a NEX camera because, unlike a DSLR,  the lens aperture actually closes down during focusing and you see the exact image of what the sensor will capture on the camera's LCD screen during focusing.

On the mirrorless NEX cameras, the LCD screen is set to 'Live View' by default. This means you will always see exactly what the camera is going to capture on the LCD screen when you focus by half pressing the shutter. Changes you make to exposure, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation (and consequently Depth of Field) are immediately shown on the LCD.

You only need a live preview on a (D)SLR camera which focusses with the lens fully open - this stops down when the mirror lifts and the shutter fires.

On later NEX cameras, I think from the NEX-5n and later, it is possible to turn off 'live view' in the settings as this can be desireable when using a flash in very low light. I think this only works in PASM modes.

Hope that makes sense???

:wink: