Join now - be part of our community!

Smaller flashes for A7 cameras?

SOLVED
mariuswm

Smaller flashes for A7 cameras?

Anybody from Sony engineering here?

Im looking for a flash to use on my A7 camera. But I think the existing Sony HVL flashes (43 and 60) are way too big for the camera.

The F20 is too weak and limited. But is Sony expected to launch any new smaller and lighter flashes in the near future?

Or is there any other brands that works with the A7? I´ve already checked out Metz. But they seem to be equally big.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

What sort of guide numbers were you looking for in a flash?

The problem is that the flashes are sized based on power so your more powerful units will always tend to be bigger. Some may be a little more compact but offer the same power at the trade off for slower cycle times.

If you have no issues using flashes in manual mode then you can use pretty much anything as the only contact that will matter is the trigger pin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

What sort of guide numbers were you looking for in a flash?

The problem is that the flashes are sized based on power so your more powerful units will always tend to be bigger. Some may be a little more compact but offer the same power at the trade off for slower cycle times.

If you have no issues using flashes in manual mode then you can use pretty much anything as the only contact that will matter is the trigger pin.
profile.country.SE.title
Ivarsony
New

I think flash guns by nature are a bit big on the small A7 series, but you could always try off camera flash. Then you would only need a transmitter on the body which typically is smaller. Down side is you need to support your flash gun with a tripod or your left hand.