Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 12-24 f/2.8 GM Autofocus

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Sony 12-24 f/2.8 GM Autofocus

Hi, I just bought this fantastic lens and I have to say it takes beautiful, super sharp images with hardly any distortion, even at 12mm.  I love it!

However, I can’t get it to autofocus properly. It focuses and then sort of pulses back and forth slightly, like it’s breathing, and it can go in and out of focus. I either have to take a shot instantly on first focus, or switch to manual focus.

I’m using a Sony alpha A7R mk iv, which works fine with all my other lenses.

Any clues? Do all wide lenses suffer from this or is this one faulty?  Or do I need a software update maybe?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

You might want to update your camera to the latest software version as it improves the AF with that lens:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm4/downloads/00016865

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Thanks Betreff, have downloaded the latest firmware but it doesn’t fix the autofocus issue for photos. I notice the download said it improves autofocus for video so I was optimistic but unfortunately it makes no difference with photos.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Hmm, have you tried with other aperture levels?

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Yeah and your right, the issue does seem to vary in degree -  from 12mm to 24mm and from nearby subjects to distant landscapes - but it’s always there.

Sadly I’ve now returned it.  I have no idea whether this is a firmware issue or the particular lens I had, but I’ve defected to a Sigma 14-24 f/2.8 for the short term, until I hear that all is well with the Sony. Such a shame about the autofocus, as the Sony optics were superb on manual focus.