Join now - be part of our community!

Sony alpha 200 camera error

profile.country.GB.title
Colinley
Explorer

Sony alpha 200 camera error

Hi I was recently given an alpha200 but it had no battery or charger. So I bought a battery and charger off ebay. When they arrived I put a cf card in the memory card slot but when I put the battery in there was a clicking noise that lasted for about 3 seconds coming from inside of the camera. When I turned it on the same noise happened again and it said set time and date for about one second on the lcd screen and then it said camera error. I turned it off and took off the lens. Took the battery out then put the battery back in but with the lens off. It made the same noise and I noticed it was the mirror flicking up and down. When I turned it on it did the same again. Mirror flicks up and down quickly for about 3 seconds. Does anyone havery any ideas what it is doing this. Any help is much appreciated

Thanks Colin  

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Colinley, 

Thanks for joining the community.

It might be best to contact support for advice about this as it seems like a mechanical error.

You'll find the contact info here.

Best wishes,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
Colinley
Explorer

Thank you very much for the reply. I have sent the details to support and I an awaiting a reply. But with it being an older model I have heard that repairs can be very expensive. And I feel as though it might not be economical to have it repaired. Unless I can find a way to fix it myself 

profile.country.GB.title
Colinley
Explorer

So I got a reply from sony. They asked me to check that the battery is suitable for the camera. The one I got was off ebay. Not a genuine sony camera but a compatible one. It had good reviews with other customers not reporting any problems so I think it is going to need a repair. But if it's going to cost more than £100 it won't be worth it because I could buy another one for around that price that is working