Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Nex-3 Video - how long can it record?

profile.country.en_GB.title
grievearg
Visitor

Sony Nex-3 Video - how long can it record?

Hi folks, hope someone can help.

Planning on using my Sony Nex-3 as an additional video for recording my upcoming wedding ceremony. I am gonna sit it on a tripod at a different angle to the main camera.

I tested how long the battery would last from fully charged as I plan for it to be unmanned - I was generally quite impressed - it only lost 20% after 25-30 minutes.  My problem is, however, that the camera turned itself off after about 29 minutes. My memory card was far from full.

Anyone know of a setting that could ensure that the camera will keep filming until either the battery dies or memory card fills up??

Would be really grateful for any help/suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The maximum continuous recording time for movies is 29 minutes.  This is the same with all Sony NEX and DSLR predominantly 'stills' cameras.

You will find this in your Instruction Manual at the top of Page 64.

I think this is designed to stop overheating but as it seems you can immediately restart and record another 29 minutes, I wonder if this is really the reason.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Its all down to taxing. Any product which records for longer will no longer be classified as a DSLR, digital stills camera or photo capture device and then falls under the classification of video recording device or camcorder which carry a larger tax duty which would push the prices of these products up.

It will get warm but not enough to cause the unit to malfunction. Best thing to do is record in chunks where you can afford to miss a few seconds and join it during video editing.

Gizerd
New

Have camcorder high-resolution still images so classified is not the camcorder for its intended purpose, but also as a camera. Why is it ok?

But a camera is not allowed to be camcorder.