Join now - be part of our community!

The new Sony A58 and using a remote control

profile.country.de_DE.title
Lucisussman
Visitor

The new Sony A58 and using a remote control

Hi,

I just bought a Sony A58 and am trying to see if it can operate with a remote control.

Unfortinately, no information is given by Sony, only about operating the camera remotely from a computer.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
cmosse
Contributor

hello

in fact you have 3 options to remote control the SLT-A58

1. use the new cable remote RM-VPR1
  2. use the cable remote which is supplied with the VCT-VPR1,VCT-VPR10, VCT-VPR100 tripod
  3. use the remote control software for computer

Kind Regards

Michael

profile.country.ro_RO.title
Nextor11
Visitor

Hello,

I don't think that RMT-DSLR2 is compatible with the a58.

At least according to this compatibility page:

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Alpha,-Sony-NEX,-Alpha-NEX,-Remote-Control,-Camera-Remote/en/p/RMTDSLR2...

I didn't found any information about a58 being compatible with a wireless remote.

cmosse
Contributor

yes thats true, according to the manual the SLT-A58 does not support the infrared remote control anymore.

The Sony A58 only uses the RM-VPR1. These are not easily available I have enquired about getting one and Amozon.co.uk have none in stock and do not Know when they will next have some. Sony only sell them in their Alpha stores when they are in stock, Amazon.com have them but will not deliver to the UK and Ebay have them coming from somewhere in Japan. On top of that Sony are charging £99 for them yet the are selling them in the USA for half that price but unfortunatly I don't live there.

I am very unhappy with Sony for producing a product with little support for accessories I am surprised my actual Sony lenses fit. Nothing else does.

MagFul16
Explorer

This is the only remote that apparently will work with the CyberShot DSC-HX300 bridge camera too.  A major issue as these very long super zoom cameras are very prone to camera shake.  At the moment Ebay have 3 of these for sale between £50 & £60... the one from Japan, one from Hong Kong (which is cheapest) and one here in the UK at £59.99.  Lets hope someone in the Far East can come up with a less expensive option in the near future as even at £60 these are still over priced and few people need all the 'features'!

Gottwik
New

Hey. I was reading this post because I needed a remote shutter. The usb remote is nowhere to be found and is quite expensive so I made a hack and it works. You can read about it here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52048530

cmosse
Contributor

you can use the cable remote which is supplied with the VCT-VPR1 tripod which is already available

slta58
Explorer

There is already an Android App in Google Play Store to remote control the A58 via USB cable (rccdroid)