Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
jack32467

I think more worrying is this line:

NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled.

andrewsoong

*NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled

Think it's time to return this piece of *****.

profile.country.GB.title
psp888

have you seen the note on the bottom os the update page.

NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled.

What a waste of time Youview is then!  Mis-sold load of crap

elraouk

Have been waiting a  week to hear back from Sony store about returning my two TVs.  This just adds more fuel to the fire, as the advertised features that aren't available and are now saying that we will have to choose between some of the key features?? 
elraouk

Did anyone else see this footnote hidden on the Android TV page, with regard HDD recording:

1 This feature will be available via a firmware update within 2015. NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled. YouView on Sony TVs will offer consumers a consistent and easy to use YouView experience, including scroll back, search, discover and catch up TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5). YouView functionality includes access to all the normal free-to-air channels via the YouView guide and mini guide.

I have no recollection of seeing this, even if it was there when I bought the TV - this is an issue worth of more than a footnote in a collapsed section of the website that you have to go hunting for! 

I understand not being able to record from iPlayer to HDD (just), but this makes it sound like I would have to switch YouView off to use the Sattelite channels and back on again if I wanted to use YouView??  Ridiculous!

Still haven't had any response from the Sony Store about returning these stupid TVs.  Half an hour on hold just now and had to hang up to join a work call.

cozzykim

I'll be truthfull with you guys, YouView and HDD recording are nice, but I probably won't use them, as we prefer our Humax FreeSat HDR with its Custom Firmware.

Broadcast TV is rubbish anyway IMHO, apart from the odd science or nature documentary, where the PQ of this TV comes into its own.

The PaP is what I'm waiting for in terms of features. That [b]will[/b] be useful IMHO

Mostly, we want Lollipop 5.1x to improve the stability of the OS.

It's depressing that the roll out of the new firmware has been put back here though, come on Sony, get the act together.

If they do lose interest in firmware updates due to new 2016 products (like Asus did with the ill fated TF101) then ours will be going back under the sale of goods act, taking advantage of JL's no quibble guarantee, and I don't care when that is, promises have been made regarding the functionality of the TV and I bought it in good faith taking those promises into account.

elraouk

Am wishing I had bought from JL or Amazon, companies with good customer service.  Unfortunately I pre-ordered from Sony on their own website, so have to deal with them.

I would actually use YouView, just as it is an easier interface for catchup TV (IMO).  While we mainly use Sky for our regular TV viewing (centralised box, distributed around the house), the point of havinf TVs with built in tuners was so we had the option of watching something different in the kitchen / lounge / bedroom and didn't have to buy boxes like the Humax for every room!

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Release 5.1.1 already Sony, its quite clear from the US forums that this provides much needed stability and of course 5.1 sound in netflix. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@tweety2b

If you haven't left SONY yet, have you got any news or info regarding this poor let down. Seems as though a massive failure in advertising is rearing its head....

Youview?

HDD REC?

5.1?

Supposedly awesome TV?

Has anyone on here attempted to contact a regulator like trading standards or watch dog? If so I will be happy to put my name down on any petition that happens to be out there to tackle SONY and its miss-representations and false advertising of the 2015 TV's?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

I suggest someone gets in touch with BBC Watchdog.