Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

It's a bit of a shame really because I absolutely love the picture quality of my TV.

But to have to buy a Humax FreeSat box to get a working EPG is a bit of a joke.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

The problem is with Sony is they let their marketing team go nuts, they can write what ever they like then sony sets about making the product match the marketing. They do things back to front. It's like sony before the ps4 was even released they said that you would be able to suspend games in shut down. 2 years ago they said that, we got the update last month. Sony needs to get its marketing people in check and stop them making rubbish up. And market the product that's actually on sale instead of keep mis-selling. 

elraouk

Go here https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact and fill out the form, I just did.  The more people that do, the more chance of it getting picked up.  Don't leave it to someone else, these things need numbers.

I know two separate people who managed to get something exposed on watchdog, both took numbers to get them to pick up the story.  Happy to report there are a couple of crooks in jail as a result of one!!

cozzykim

The digital (FreeView) EPG seems to work OK on our TV, but we don't use it of course for FreeSat, we prefer zingzing.

For me, the ability to watch my favourite content seamlessly in HD is another reason in the balance of whether to keep the TV. Watching Netflix on a 42" Tosh with a T-R42 TV box in SD just doesn't cut it after the Sony HD integrated version of Netflix.

It's all pros and cons at the moment.

mk1.golf.1983

I just filled the form out. What an absolute shambles! I will be contacting my retailer in regards to a refund, this joke of a tv was mis-sold.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

I too have just finished the form! https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

It’s well and truly the time now, for everyone that has had issues and felt like they are talking to a brick wall, to become the ultimate keyboard warriors and fight back in numbers digital ninja style! Statistics need to be generated to show that we aren’t just the unlucky few, but instead, the end consumers that are paying the price for "MAKE BELIVE"ing in SONY and its promises!

We can report time and time again on here, on this forum, highlight an issue about this, complain about that, but honestly, who here has actually has had a justified, respectable honest response from a SONY rep that has taken the time to trawl through these comments?

mk1.golf.1983

I certainly haven't been recommending Sony Android Tv's to anyone of late.

kelchashock
Explorer

I too have filled out the form. I have given up on this tv and hope curry's
will take it back off my hands. I want my old pioneer plasma back.
fedidan
Explorer

Yep - formed filled out by me also.

Rodders123
Explorer

The update says "summer", to me that is June to August... however BST ends 25 October. Bit weird using a timezone to decide a software update release date though...

I think they mean you can't record from youview if you are watching catchup, but surely live TV can be recorded to USB??? 

If they mess it up like we're predicting and we are left with only YouView or USB I think I will return the TV under the sale of goods act to JL. I think they will be getting a fair few back... My thing is I don't actually miss being able to record and can live with the EPG. The freezing up is annoying the mrs though!!!