Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Hopefully if it's youview or USB recording their must be an option to turn youview off but it's supposed to be integrated into the tv and not an app so how we are going to disable it I don't understand, I used sky to record my tv and use sky for all my on demand tv. It's just sometimes I can't record everything because of a clash or my box gets full. So I don't want youview forced on me. I would like to be able to record the free to air channels on to usb using the tv and use my sky box for sky shows only. 

elraouk

Long phone call to Sony CS, surprise surprise they are very busy at the moment as a result of their underperforming Android TVs and the lack of August update.

Have formally asked for a refund on both my TVs, fingers crossed.

cozzykim

On a better note, my DualShock has now arrived, yeeaaa.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@cozzykim

does your PS Now app work? I get stuck on the login screen. Just wont load up to let me fill in the email and password for my PS account!

Al_Charles

PS now, at first this looked like a great idea, but check the prices out. seriously to expensive, some of the games can be purchased for less than the 1 month rental cost.

There was supposed to be a monthly all in fee, but it does not look like its happening yet.

profile.country.GB.title
psp888

I wouldn't trust my credit card details with Sony anyway

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Not really to bothered about the PS Now app, I agree that the pricing is ridiculous. Just couldn't login on the app which is yet another issue and wanted to know if anybody else had had any luck in doing so? Only downloads I do with PSN are the plus games, and even then they are few and far between in good content. Well, for my liking anyway!

cozzykim

@theshamelessmanc

I have the same 'problem' as you, I can't even get to populating the account login screen, it hangs with blank boxes.

Not that I'm bothered, I'll be using the controller for the TV and Android games, and I can always use it for my T-R42 box as a controller. 

Al_Charles

In relation to returning these underperforming units, You dont need to cross your fingers.

In the UK they can be returned under the sale of goods act, having just returned a set that was 3 months old, the retailer did not argue or put up any fight, the retailer was well aware of the Sony issues and more than happy to help. Having had many months of head banging with sony, i pointed out to the retailer USB rec and PAP. Both were stated as working originaly in sony advertising. I did not even have to address other faults. The retailer offered me a FULL refund of the original cost £1249 (i had £50 discount of new) or an exchange with free delivery and collection.

I returned an original 49x8309 and purchased a 55x8509 (having noted other people found these sets better), i did not have to part with any extra funds as the 55x8509 has dropped form £1750 to £1250 so this also was a win. I should add and i get the PS 4 controller and PS4 Now free for 30 days.

So far i have to state the performance of the 55x8509 has been better than the 49X8309, in theory this should not be the case, but i dont get the same sound issues, the One touch remote was also included along with sony IR blaster, and both these work perfectly. Picture quality is the same, and i think we all agree that this is the TVs saving grace.

For me the issue has always been sound, and so far the exchange is working great.

However Sony clearly hyped these underperforming units to increase sales.

elraouk

I touted sog act, but  unfortunately dealing with Sony direct (bought from them online)  and not a retailer with good customer service. 
Waiting for manager call back