Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@dave_roscoe

I have not had the issue you are having, but I did read for some, this helped....

• Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick

• One of them with the original name

• And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'.

• Then  connect the USB stick to USB port 2.

• And then see if the update process will start as intended.

Al_Charles

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

good spot, I assumed EU, but I now see Dave has said KDL50W805B. 

A quick search brings up for the UK https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-50W805B

The firmware would be V2304

Its important to have the right firmware for the right region!

dave_roscoe
Explorer

@theshamelessmanc@Al_Charles

Many thanks for your responses.

Still no luck unfortunately, I have just tried putting the USB in slot 2 and including the other renamed file 'upgrade_uploader.pkg' on the device. Nothing happens when I insert the USB, the instructions from Sony as per the below indicate that I should have on screen instuctions which do not appear.

1. Turn on the TV
  2. Insert your USB device containing the file sony_dtv0FA40A06A0A6_00003100into the USB slot of the TV set
  3. Follow the on screen instructions
  4. When the update file was copied from the USB to the TV, the power indicator will be flashing in white color while updating, and the Update icon will appear
  5. After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update. - Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
  6. When the firmware update is completed, a message is displayed on the TV set
  7. Remove your USB device from the USB slot
cozzykim

Two possible reasons:

1. Is the update file in the USB root folder?

2. Is the USB formatted FAT32?

matt2807
Explorer

KDL-43W755C

Hi,

Is anyone else having issues with their Android TV?

Mine is at times almost unusable because of its unresponsiveness / laggyness. I have tried things to correct this but nothing has worked.

It took me about 3 hours today to load up and play something from my external HDD only to find that the video lagged when playing (unwatchable).

The most simple of things like turning the TV on and off or opening the guide takes time and is unresponsive.

I have to wat about 5-10 mins after the TV is initially turned on before t is smooth enough to use. I have a feeling that it is an issue with my TV because there is nobody in their right mind that would release a product like this for this price wih these issues. 

profile.country.SE.title
mrcodec
Explorer

I have the same problem with my Kd-65x8509c. Can't play games either
because the lag.. Seems sony put the cheapest components they could find in
the sets.. No where near their Xperia phones in responsiveness..
profile.country.GB.title
pjxr70
Explorer

Hi all I have a 55x8509 and too have issues with the set slowing down however I have found that signing out of the Google account and rebooting the set does help . The tv seems to have a lot going on in the background and seems to be causing the set to slowdown and running certain apps makes this worse. Sony need to limit the amount of stuff running in the background as stopping some apps running really speeds it up. I previously had a hx923 that was a fantastic tv. The 8509 is a great tv with superb picture quality. Over the past few weeks I have tried sets from lg samsung and Panasonic and find the sony the best overall. I'm sure sony will fix the few issues the software has so we need to wait and see.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Hi,

I have a KDL-50W805C. I have similar issues but not that bad. Once powered on it takes about nearly30 seconds to be ready. Even the home theatre system does not kick in until about the same time. I play from my HDD (network drive) through wifi and did not notice any problem. The only problem I have noticed is that it is not possible to play all video files located in the same directory. After playing a video one need to select the next video to play it. There is no option to play all videos continuously. 

Even though my settings in the main screen shows no wifi it still connects to Wifi.

When the TV is switched off, my home theatre systems switches off first and the TV switches off after about 30 seconds. While switching channels everything goes blank for a few seconds. This TV is a replacement TV which I received for a faulty 46HX823. The only problem with my previous TV was that the wifi stopped working along with the HDD recording. I am no better now since the HDD function is still not available as the relavant update is still to be made available by Sony. I do not want to return this TV since Sony would take 3 months to give a replacement TV as it was with the previous instant.

I hope this helps.

dspencer999

Trying to speed things up; how do you sign out of the Google Account?

I can only see how to delete the account, and then surely you'd lose access to the Apps you've purchased?