Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Can someone tell me if I need the aerial plugged in to get Over The Air updates? I just have SKY! Never used the Freeview! By the sounds of it, I don't think I want to either.  

MikeLothian

Nope, you just need to be connected via a network cable or WiFi, if you can access the net then the OTA will work

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Cool, thats what I thought.

elraouk

There was no new OTA update for me last night (43X8305C), unless it did auto update and I've not noticed! 
Twobins

Just been on the phone to John Lewis. I have three weeks left of my 90 day return period to decide to either keep or return this tv. The person I was speaking to said that they were dealing with someone else yesterday who was returning theirs too. Seems like many people have absolutely no faith in Sonys ability or desire to sort these problems out. I do love the picture quality but the reboots, freezing and general lagging of the operating system are making me think seriously of returning this and doing without until next years models have been released.

Crosbydan
Explorer

That is exactly what I intend to do. I hope the Sony shop are as accommodating as John Lewis. The thing is definitely not right and not really fit for purpose. Sad thing is I will have a hole on the wall because I gave away my old faithful Panasonic in order to make way for this technological wonder from Sony!

Sent from my iPhone
cozzykim

@elraouk

Why would there be? It's been delayed until mid Sept as far as we all know? :thinking:

elraouk

Sony senior manager finally called, only to say that he (as tech support) could not authorise a refund and sent me back to sales (who sent me to tech support originally...).  His justification is that refunds are issued by the seller (Sony store online); which is a different "company", all sounds reasonable from his end.

Sales says they only deal with refunds within 30 days, everything else is technical support!  After some pressure she said it could be escalated to an exception team (not something she wanted to let me know) and let slip that they (Sony sales) are trying to work out how to deal with all these 30 day+ return requests!!

Asked for escalation and she took my case reference (so looks like you have to round this game to prove you have atleast tried to resolve the issues).  15 mins on hold and I was transferred to someone in tech support who has no info about my case. 

Told him the story and asked to be put back through to sales...5 mins later he comes back saying they have rejected my claim!!  Explained I want it escalating within sales. 10 mins later and he says the original (tech support) manager will call me back as sales say it is rejected as it is more than 3 months.  I point out it is 3 months today and demand to speak to sales again.

On to aftersales who give me the same spiel as before, but have finally escalated it to the exception team, only took 1h 26m on the phone!!!!

They are deliberately trying to make the process as difficult as possible, as I am sure a lot of people would have given up by now.

Has anyone here managed to return their TV to Sony direct after 30 days?  I said I knew people had returned them, so there was precedent - but having facts to back this up would help me greatly!

Keep fighting!!

cozzykim

Tell them that you're filling in the forms to take them to the Small Claims Court, as the sales literature promises have not been fulfilled within the 30 day term of their returns period, so bought 'in good faith' and 'not

fit for purpose'.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

It only costs about £50 IIRC.

I still have <60 days, so willing to give it a chance that everything will be sorted.

elraouk

@cozzykim

Something someone else said about OTA5 only being available OTA and not via the website.  Thought that may have meant it was finally available!