Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

No such luck, yet :slight_frown:

MikeLothian

I've been given the same runaround too, they're basically stalling until this next update comes out and to prevent what must be millions of pounds worth of returns

elraouk

Made extensive use of the terms

• Trading Standards
  • Not fit for purpose
  • Failure to fulfil promises
  • Sale of Goods Act

Next step is to wait for the manager from the exception team to call me back (within 24 hours ...).  If they flat out refuse, then I will call my credit card company and see what they say.  Will try to get their refusal in writing, so I have evidence if I do threaten the court action!

cozzykim

"Credit card company", why didn't you say?

Sorted! :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

That's one of the great things about this country is that the laws are all geared up on the side of the consumer and not the corporations. Their won't be a judge in the land that wouldn't give you want you requested. As the TV's have without doubt been mis-sold, the evidence is on the Sony website the marketing does not match the product. 

Al_Charles

i feel for everyone having returns issues with Sony retail stores, keep fighting you will win in the end, and the credit card company is your friend.

make sure you keep a written record of when you called Sony, and who you spoke to, it will help you if you take small claims route. 

I returned my 49x after 3 months, and my retailer could not have been more helpful, Currys, John Lewis and other are well aware of the problems. Also why are you worring about 90 days, you can return an item anytime provided it's a valid reason, being sold an item under false advertising is valid, remember to keep your claim simple, so use pap and USB recording as the reason, these were advertised orininally as working out of the box. Sound, lag issues, reboots are harder to prove,

Its about time Sony stopped with the excuses, and starting having open and honest conversations with its customers. 

elraouk

Thanks for the support.  Have never tried to use credit card protection (Capital One Master Card) before, so no idea how that works in practice.

I did say people had returned products to John Lewis etc. after 30 days without issues, and all they said is that every company has their own policy and Sony's is 30 days.  Am not sure where the 3 month point came from when I was on the phone earlier, probably just something they were trying to use as an excuse (as I told them SoG doesn't stop at 90 days and I'd been trying to return it for a few weeks!).

Difficult to prove what the advertising literature said at the time I ordered it (I ordered 30th May); hence what features were essentially mis-sold (as the website now contains the tiny footnotes about features being available later via software update).

Main points I have argued are

"Quality Issues"

• Unsuable sattelite EPG
  • Need for frequent reboots
  • UI Lag
  • Feed crosstalk (picture from Plex with audio from Sky)
  • Poor HD streaming

"Feature Issues"

• No USB recording
  • No Youview
  • 5.1 Audio
  • Implication that USB recording will never work with sattelite channels
Al_Charles

Just ring the credit card company, and talk to them. They are used to dealing with issues, remember they are your friends. Stick to the not working issues, as these are easy to prove.

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

I have the 49x8309c and as a basic TV I find it OK, to be fair we tend to use Sky HD on HDMI 1 most of the time and I find the upscaling excellent on the Sony. As for the Android apps, Youtube seems to have sound/video sync issues and Dolby 5.1 is missing from Amazon Instant Video, although I have not tried it lately as I have a Fire TV box on HDMI 2, so we get DD+. Presumably the TV apps would transcode DD+ to plain DD if and when it works with 5.1, I use the optical out.

My main gripe is, why did Sony have to change from VA panels to IPS? Yes, the viewing angle is a little better but other than that I cannot see any benefit. Blacks are rather poor and light leakage and the dirty screen effects are present to a noticable extent, especially on letterbox material, eg films. I am reluctant to try and exchange it as I could get one with worse light leakage or better, just luck of the draw. Why is it on a smaller screen we have to have inferior quality as well, I can only assume LG(?) is supplying Sony with their rejects.I have set Brightness (Backlight) to 20), any less and the picture starts to get rather dull. I know the 55x8509 gets better reviews but I would really struggle to accommodate a 55" screen in my room.

So, in my case its not so much the Android issues but poor quality control by Sony.

Personnally I think if Sony can resolve these issues with their 2016 range they should offer us a good trade in on the 2015 models which have been far from ideal on many fronts?

Must go - I think I just saw a flying pig outside.

georgeg55
Explorer

Can anyone suggest wireless keyboards that work for sure on Sony KDL-55W805C?