Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Nibor99

If you haven't already seen this - Sony's 2016 TV offering - compare and contrast !!

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/bravia#bravia_oofm_OneChip

Does it offer hope to current 4K TV owners.

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

Android issues indeed...........

Have now had my KD49x8307C for a few days and oh boy what a nightmare to set up!

Worked my way through initial set up only to find my Soundbar, HT-CT381will not sync with the tv via the HDMI ARC connection. Spent a whole day with it dropping in and out as it saw fit, no amount of me setting up would last more than 1 turn on and off or change of imputs! baffling.

Connected my blue ray player and other units to the same sound bar then thought they would all play via the HDMI ARC port but alas no, sound coming from the soundbar but no pictures on the tv - perhaps as it is only a sound bar that is what it will only do? booklet suggests otherwise. Why have a dedicated HDMI port only for sound, might as well just use the optical port instead.

Have now connected all units directly to the tv and have achieved something at least, pictures to match the sound.

Sound keeps jumping between the speakers and the soundbar, which takes an eternity, speed is not the tv's best aspect to say the least.

Also I keep experiencing slight loss of sound - when the soundbar is working - just the first part of a word or so - very noticeable and annoying.

Have carried out all the resets and online updates so fingers crossed it will settle down, shows potential but still not convinced as yet.

I will keep trying for a few more days but if I end up with a tv that becomes hard work to get up and going it will be going back together with the soundbar!

Not impressed overall so far.......................

MikeLothian

Take my advice and get rid of it ASAP, you can buy the same model (probably for less) when the bugs are sorted. We're still not sure whether this next OTA will actually sort things - we're all just hoping

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

sounds like good advice, will see it through the weekend then call up John Lewis to come and get it all.

will keep my money and wait for these issues to be fixed - if they ever are!

dspencer999

Petsmart [well my TV is pretty good now i reported before having the black screen when changing HDMi inputs. This was resolved by a replacement tv and so far havnt had any issues with the new set.. I do get what you report above twobins but only first intial time i get sky on via my reciever -  the after that completely stable.]

I tried to play a Blu-Ray last night via HDMI. I could hear the sound, but the picture was black. Despite many attempts at correcting, only a restart fixed the problem.

Based on the comment from Petsmart above - is this hardware or software?! I'd assumed software as usual, but am now concerned by this comment.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

Dspencer999 sounds a similar issue!

my setup was 55x8509 connected to Sony receiver via hdmi arc with sky box (UK) and ps4 and at the original time also a separate blue ray player connected to the reciever. Every time switching on the receiver sound mode/input to sky worked. When selecting ps4 I would only ever get a display when the TV was first powered on. If I powered on went to sky then ps4  and back to sky then ps4 it not ever came up with black screen which flashed now and again attempting to display. Sound always worked. 

I attemped every very fix and then an engineer finally  came out. I thought it was a software issue or more convinced that it might be my old reciever. They deemed a panel fault not sure exactly what that suggests but got a new TV and when I hooked it all up its been working fine since. This TV although exactly same model etc seems better performing and reliable. Not so many crashes etc. 

Rodders123
Explorer

I had some hdmi troubles, all have been sorted by turning off all hdmi Cec settings for my Panasonic blu ray player. I guess they didn't play nice....
dspencer999

Petsmart - I too have a 55x8509, connected to a Sony STR-DH820 Amp via the HDMI 4 port (Arc). Connected into the amp is a PS3 and a Panasonic Blu Ray player. The Blu Ray Player works fine over and over again, but when I try switching to the PS3, that is when the screen went black, and I had to restart.

If it wasn't for your new TV working, like you I'd think it was software. Have already notified the retailer, and they have agreed to swap, but having already swapped once, am seriously considering getting out of this game, and switching to Samsung.

I'm feeling like I'm just spending too much time concerned with this TV, and just want one that does what it;s supposed to do, straight out of the box, rather than all of this concern etc...

How long have you had the replacement by the way? Has it definitely had a decent time to fail?!

Rodders123
Explorer

This is what happened to me but it was Apple TV not a PS3. The panny blu Ray would work fine but the TV would then refuse to connect to Apple TV. Try turning all the hdmi interactions off on your blu Ray player e.g viera link
dspencer999

Hi Rodders123 - I've changed the settings on the Panny as you say, and so far, no black screens - fingers crossed!

Really hoping this is a software compatibility issue rather than hardware!