Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
elraouk

JOKE

Just had an email from Sony CRO to say:

Thank you for contacting Sony.
I am sending you this email in regards to your escalation, After looking to the case history, and based on all the givens of the case, we came to the conclusion, that the TV was sold under the highlighted features limitations on our website, and the features in question are to be added as per the website, so in that case a refund is not applicable.

Needless to say I called them immediately, the after sales guy looked at my case and said he could see that I'd been called by his supervisor and that I'd been told I would get a refund.  He also said there was no record of the email being sent.

Did notice the email referenced by case ID with the tech support team, not the case ID with aftersales, so hopefully my refund is still coming.

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

Did they ask you to do a re-set?????

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

I think the best thing to do is, if you're going to buy Sony buy it anywhere else other than Sony, 

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Hi @theshamelessmanc,

Thank you for the reply. This did not work even after I rebooted all the equipment. And then finally I did a factory reset of the TV and that did the work. The only problem is that there is no option to play all the videos continuously which I could in the 2013 non android TV. Has anyone figured it out.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Hi @theshamelessmanc

I would suggest a factory reset might do as it did with my WD network drive.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Hi @theshamelessmanc,

I had the same issue with my TV as well. Even the network in the settings showed an exclmation mark next to it, eventhough the TV was connected to the internet and working fine with youtube, chromecast etc. 

I did a factory reset and ever since the Network shows it is healthy and I am able to access the network drive once again.

I hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Hi @nathanmcnultyms70d,

I had the same problem and I resolved it with a factory reset of the TV. Once you have competed the reset please check if the software is up to date.

I hope this helps.

PS: Your TV will go back to the same settings as when you received it and needs to retuned.

Al_Charles

@elraouk

Im glad your all sortted out. Been a long trip for you.

dspencer999

Most likely a daft question.

When I purchased my KD55X8509C from Richer Sounds it came with a 6 year guarantee, which I was given to believe in store was a 5 year guarantee from Sony plus an additional year from Richer Sounds.

When I registered the product on the Sony website this evening, it says that the warranty is just 12 months.

Does anyone know?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@Shalendran Hi

I was in the process of doing a full reset of everything on my home network last night when you sent your reply. Routers, TV's, HDD the lot. I had a couple issues with some other stuff other than just the Sony, so went at it full throttle. 

My network seems to be running all good again now all the declutter has been sorted. I can access the HDD from the TV using the Video app, although, after iv turned the TV on, gone to home, opened the Video app, selected the HHD, it take ages to load folders with films in. After that, so long as the TV hasn't been turned off, its all quick if i go back to the app later! 

I saw what you meant by the exclamation mark, next to the network symbol, it had gone after the factory reset. 

After factory resetting the TV, I went through updating the apps already pre-installed on the play store, individually i installed, checked and turned off the TV, then back on again after each one. I wanted to see if any of them were to blame for the network symbol exclamation mark. It never appeared though, so I was at ease and thought that the issue was remedied.

But.... I was wrong, because this morning it's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girrrrrrrr!!!!!!! 

I know my network is fine, the TV is connected and can go online, it just bugs me that it is there lol. I haven't installed any 3rd party apps this time, its a fresh start with all the original apps on the unit.