Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
rdlowry

dspencer999 wrote:

Most likely a daft question.

When I purchased my KD55X8509C from Richer Sounds it came with a 6 year guarantee, which I was given to believe in store was a 5 year guarantee from Sony plus an additional year from Richer Sounds.

When I registered the product on the Sony website this evening, it says that the warranty is just 12 months.

Does anyone know?

@dspencer999 When I purchased my KDL-43W755C from Richer Sounds they gave me a form that I had to fill and send off to Sony. I then recieved a 5 year warranty certificate directly from Sony. They also gave me a card to fill in and post for the the 1 year Richer Sounds warranty. I was emailed a warranty certificate for this as well. Hope this helps.

Twobins

Contacted customer support re a timetable for the next software update. All they can say is, its coming this summer. Waiting for them to define what summer means in Sony world. I have until 19th of this month to return the TV to John Lewis under their 90 day return policy. Had been thinking of replacing my iphone for a Sony Android phone to work with the TV but thankfully I didn't. Don't think I'll ever buy another Sony product. Their customer service makes TalkTalks look excellent.

MikeLothian

I recommmend you return it

We don't know the date of the update or if itll fix all the issues we've been having

If it does fix the issues you can always rebuy the TV, probably at a cheeper price

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

Had mine lock up again on me last night. Would not respond to any inputs on the remote.

Had to turn off at the wall, leave for 30 seconds and switch on again.

Not the 1st time it's happened.

EPG still not working either.

DeBroin_UK
Explorer

Hi guys,

Belgian user here who's suffering from the exact same problems most of you are having.

I was wondering: since US users have got the 5.1.1 update which resolves quite a lot, has anyone tried flashing that firmware on their sets?

The sets have got a different name over there (starting with XBR...) but the firmware cannot be thàt different, can it? I'm not worried about refresh rate differences or PAL/NTSC signals and whatnot because I only ever use 1 HDMI input that is connected to an AV receiver where all my devices are connected to, and they're all digital (at 50 and 60hz, so no issue there).

I'm just dying to get the 5.1 surround sound from netflix and others. I mean, we've been beta testers long enough now, I'd like to have a finished product now.

So basically I'm wondering: anyone ever flashed a US firmware on a EU/UK device? If so, what are the consequences?

Cheers,

Chris

Kevwoods12

Hi all,  newbie.  

A bit concerned regarding the HDR update on the 29th.  Looks like X93 and X94 only. Is the X85 slated in yet? 

MikeLothian

Don't flash the American firmware, they have different tuners than us and who knows if it'll work correctly - I'm guessing Sony won't want to repair it either

Speaking of repairs an engineer is coming on Thursday, I'm not sure what they'll do to fix it seeing as we're nearly all agreed its a software issue. Perhaps they've got the latest firmware. Who knows

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

@MikeLothian probably going to do a factory reset for you. 

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@theshamelessmanc

Hi,

I have a W85C. I have noticed this problem only after every software update. At the moment I do not have this problem as I have not had any update ever since I did a factory reset. May be worth checking if you had an update after you had done the factory reset and after you accessed your HDD.

Please note that if you switch off at the mains the TV takes a long time to boot. So I normally leave it on standby. Also it tends to forget the connected devices as well. Whenever it connects to a Hard drive it scans for all the folders and looks for media files and hence the reason it is slow at the start. If you switch off the TV (standby only) while playing a video from the external HDD and then later switch the TV back ON again, you will notice that you can play the same Video from HDD directly. It basically remembers the last played video.

I hope this helps.

Mine is always showing a "!" on Internet connection, like there's a
problem. But there's not!??