Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.SE.title
mrcodec
Explorer

Hi. I have discovered another fault too. If I go into the settings and set the external input, change the "TV" button to display mirroring, I can no longer access the menu, external inputs, but it loops back to the home screen again. I have the 65X8509C european set 

Twobins

On my X8305  the audio seems to clip every five seconds whilst watching Freeview. I'm running the TV through a Sony HTIS100. I watch mainly streaming and it doesn't affect that. Looking for a replacement this week - don't know if it will be an expensive permanent replacement or a cheapish TV so I can wait to see if the 2016 models are any better. 43 inch size fits really well in my living room.

rdlowry

I've had the same issue with my KDL-43W755C using a HT-CT380 sound bar when
watching freeview, I've been back and forward with Sony since July about
this. They've now said the next update should resolve the clipping, I'm not
hopeful...
Twobins

You're lucky youre gettng any information from them at all. The people I've been dealing with know absolutely nothing and give the impression theres nothing wrong with these TVs. I see many retailers are now giving further discounts on Sony Android TVs - one is featured on todays Hotdeals emails. John Lewis are aware there have been problems but even in Currys, the sales people are still saying these are the best TVs in their showrooms. They do look good in the showrroms running 4K from a USB stick, but once in the real world of your living room, they turn into a bag of spanners. Its a disgrace.

Al_Charles

I noticed today Currys have dropped the 55x8309 to £999 that another £250 drop in 2 weeks.

But remember Sony have assured us there's nothing wrong with these tv's, all tv's need to be rebooted daily, 5,1 sound does work,  we should be greatful Sony even bothers to make this TV. :thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

I cant believe its dropped to 999 - thats unbelievable the price drop since launch. In the space of just less than 4 months the TV has officially lost £800.00 in value from the origional 1799 price tag. I wish i had waited!

Rodders123
Explorer

You'll get a full refund surely...
profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

does anybody have price guarantee information or anything about how long after a sale for sony products can you claim the difference? I purchased mine direct from sony on pre order just before launch.

Al_Charles

@petsmart

there is no price garrente, your left with only one option and that is to return said item, this can only be done if said item is not working correctly or faulty, say pap was not working, even though Sony advertised it as working when the item was purchased. This would be a valid reason to return the item, as it does not work as described in the sales literature. A full refund would then have to be issued. You would be free to repurchase the same item, if you desired at a greatly reduced price.

im not saying this route should be followed, but I would agree the price drop reflects customer views & reviews of a poor product 

Twobins

Absolutely correct. Some people on the Hotdeals site are getting excited about the huge price drop and are taking some convincing that Sony Android TVs are being reduced because they are bad news.