Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Kevin8098

@Bar--8 wrote:

Does this method work?

• Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick

• One of them with the original name

• And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'.

• Then connect the USB stick to USB port 2.

• And then see if the update process will start as intended.

Just tried this and it doesn't work, anyone got any other idea's how to get the UK firmware back after EU version has auto updated due to wrong geolocation by ISP

Patrandec

Ok, sent you and matt PM's with the list of emails I have used. I'm also mulling over whether I should email BBC Watchdog to urge them to investigate. I've already done this with Amazon (I bought it from them). 

I also understand that the consumer columns of the Telegraph and Guardian are very good - has anyone tried them? 

cozzykim

@Kevin8098 wrote:

@Bar--8 wrote:

Does this method work?

• Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick

• One of them with the original name

• And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'.

• Then connect the USB stick to USB port 2.

• And then see if the update process will start as intended.

Just tried this and it doesn't work, anyone got any other idea's how to get the UK firmware back after EU version has auto updated due to wrong geolocation by ISP

Have a look at the link I posted to XDA-Devs a few pages back (P405), I can't test because I haven't got my Bravia any more, but there's a possibility that you can enter the bootloader using ADB from a laptop/PC, maybe the correct firmware can be reinstalled this way.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

cozzykim wrote:

Have a look at the link I posted to XDA-Devs a few pages back (P405), I can't test because I haven't got my Bravia any more, but there's a possibility that you can enter the bootloader using ADB from a laptop/PC, maybe the correct firmware can be reinstalled this way.

I'm Croques on XDA, the author to which the link above refers. 

Fastboot can flash image files to /system /boot /recovery etc. The problem is the file supplied by Sony is its own proprietry format and appears encrypted. It is the same .pkg format that is used on the locked down Play Station 4 I imagine. I've looked at unpacking it with no success.

When my machine was briefly locked in Fastboot mode I was unable to find a way to Recovery to reboot. But that was before I managed to connect a console to the machine so I could issue:-

fastboot reboot

So if you were in fastboot, theoretically on Android systems one should be able to:-

fastboot reboot recovery

and try installing the update there. Even if one could get to Recovery and it had an install option, I suspect the date or sequence checking of the 'update' would still prevent it taking.

Adb isn't much use without root. With root we could pull the YouView app for anyone to install directly.

cozzykim

@angelacr wrote:

@cozzykim wrote:

I'm Croques on XDA, the author to which the link above refers. 

Fastboot can flash image files to /system /boot /recovery etc. The problem is the file supplied by Sony is its own proprietry format and appears encrypted. It is the same .pkg format that is used on the locked down Play Station 4 I imagine. I've looked at unpacking it with no success.

When my machine was briefly locked in Fastboot mode I was unable to find a way to Recovery to reboot. But that was before I managed to connect a console to the machine so I could issue:-

fastboot reboot

So if you were in fastboot, theoretically on Android systems one should be able to:-

fastboot reboot recovery

and try installing the update there. Even if one could get to Recovery and it had an install option, I suspect the date or sequence checking of the 'update' would still prevent it taking.

Adb isn't much use without root. With root we could pull the YouView app for anyone to install directly.

Much respect for getting as far as you have. You don't fancy 'Kingroot' then - no, neither would I. :laughing:

What's needed is for one of XDA's legendary hackers to buy an android TV and get very annoyed witrh it. :laughing:

I wonder what sneaky pitfalls would be awaiting the brave soul who attempts root? I succesfully managed it with an obscure Aldi Medion/Lenovo tablet, but that wasn't worth £1200 if it bricked.

BTW, the Aldi tablet, with its dual core and 1GB of RAM performed similarly to my 55X8509, and it's problem was stuff like Play Store and other system processes running in the background. The Hudl 2 that I replaced it with has no such issues, maybe the TVs need a Hudl 2 hardware upgrade? :laughing:

adyjay33

Maybe the TV's just need to be recalled, persons who have them compensated with working 2016 models, if they ever do get them work that is, and a public apology for selling a TV that is nowhere near ready to sell in the first place.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
cozzykim

I'd just like to say, I'm not still here to crow and troll, I love the concept of this TV, and if it or the next generation is sorted (with better CPU hardware, Sony what were you thinking), then I'd buy another one.

I'd want support for FreeSat, PIP, BT audio service, a vanilla OS with minimal bloat, HDD record with a full TV guide interface - all things that my Sammy replacement already has.

jain236

@cozzykim which sammy  have you got?

rolandscriven
Explorer

@ShadowBourne wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE HELP someone. Im not sure i have ever been so frustrated. I live in the UK

My kd49x8305c (running android tv) has updated to the wrong region software (not sure which one, could be USA or the rest of EU. I have downloaded the UK version of the software onto USB but tv sais software is up to date and i have no clue how to update it. I could not find any sort of recovery mode online or anything and there is no search function on this thread. 

This is a big problem since this isn't my tv (owned by my household) and they want to be able to use YouView, All4 and ITVHub which are currently not included in whatever region software has been installed (i was using a USA DNS, however BBC iPlayer is still installed....?)

Should not matter what firmware you have - when i change DNS, the programmes (iplayer etc.) imediately change. I'm in Greece - if I remove the DNS settings, I get the Greek catchup stuff. Add it again and restart Sony Select (find it in your running apps, clear data and cache, close then open) and I get them back. If you remove the DNS settings - so it is set for UK and restart Sony Select (find it in your running apps, clear data and cache, close then open) then I think you should get them again - would be surprised if you didn't 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@rolandscriven wrote:

@ShadowBourne wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE HELP someone. Im not sure i have ever been so frustrated. I live in the UK

My kd49x8305c (running android tv) has updated to the wrong region software (not sure which one, could be USA or the rest of EU. I have downloaded the UK version of the software onto USB but tv sais software is up to date and i have no clue how to update it. I could not find any sort of recovery mode online or anything and there is no search function on this thread. 

This is a big problem since this isn't my tv (owned by my household) and they want to be able to use YouView, All4 and ITVHub which are currently not included in whatever region software has been installed (i was using a USA DNS, however BBC iPlayer is still installed....?)

Should not matter what firmware you have - when i change DNS, the programmes (iplayer etc.) imediately change. I'm in Greece - if I remove the DNS settings, I get the Greek catchup stuff. Add it again and restart Sony Select (find it in your running apps, clear data and cache, close then open) and I get them back. If you remove the DNS settings - so it is set for UK and restart Sony Select (find it in your running apps, clear data and cache, close then open) then I think you should get them again - would be surprised if you didn't 

That won't work, All on 4 and ITV Hub are part of YouView. Totally stupid Sony does not allow you to switch back firmwares. These TV's are a total disgrace.