Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
rolandscriven
Explorer

Works for me. They are not part of Youview but they require it to be activated to work. I don't have youview (and as in Greece - cannot access freeview) but if I activate youview (press cancel at tuning) I can access all4 etc. 

cozzykim

@jain236

UE55JU7000 - was tempted by the JU8000, but couldn't find one, or the Panny 802b, but couldn't afford it just before Xmas, and wanted a TV quickly after returning the 55X8509.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rolandscriven wrote:

Works for me. They are not part of Youview but they require it to be activated to work. I don't have youview (and as in Greece - cannot access freeview) but if I activate youview (press cancel at tuning) I can access all4 etc. 

They are part of YouView, or at least, they are bundled with it, and you don't get them on the EU firmware that doesn't have YouView.

I'm wondering, as you are in Greece, how you got the UK firmware - perhaps by the VPN/Smart DNS method that we now know does this? In which case, I guess it has an upside as well as a downside.

I'm presuming this, as the All4 and ITV Players use geolocation checking, so I have to use smart DNS to get them in Spain, even on an iPad. Where All4 has another trick up its sleeve - if you are in another time zone, it smells a rat, even with smart DNS, so you have to change the clock on the iPad as well.

My YouView box (not TV) in Spain gets local Spanish programming in the YouView Guide; I guess you might get local Greek programming on your YouView TV?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
kevfarme

@Bonnevillet140 wrote:

Purchased KD49X8309C on Black Friday after visiting Currys a few days earlier, when I was looking a buying a Samsung 49" UHDSmart TV, after I was assured by the sales person that the Sony TV offered all the Samsung could offer with a better picture and that the Sony TV had a "full working" internet explorer. With regards to the picture quality there is no question the picture quality is better than the Samsung UE40H6400. that is were it finishes.

The Sony TV internet explorer is slow to load, doesn't stream any sites that uses Flash Player (no problem streaming sites that use Flash Player on Samsung UE40H6400) and displays the message "Couldn't load plug in"

The Google Play Store on the TV doesn't display all the apps that are available on the Google Play website.

TV slow on start up and unable to change channel for at least a minute until Youview menu has appeared and the channel listing have loaded.  

Have tried using the e.support web page on the Sony website for the last 2 days and keep getting a mesage stating the the questions can't be posted at this time and gives a list of Q & As

I agree with previous posts that the TV isn't as descibed and Sony seem to be ignoring customers issues and I have posted my issues here as I have been unable to email Sony Tech Support directly.

I trust the above is being addressed by Sony in the proposed March 2016 update or the TV will be going back for a full refund in April 2016 as the TV is not as descibed or sold to me by the sales person at Currys. 

Take it back now!  Do not trust Sony to put all these problems right with the next update.  It will come along and then they weill say oh, wait another couple of months and the other things will be rectified.  No they will not.  All the time it will be harder for you to take the set back.  I am not talking legally here as you will certainly have the legal right to take it back in April.  I am talking purely of the seller who may try every trick in the book to get out of giving you a refund.  I had a problem after only 30 days and had to really stand my ground.  It made me genuinely ill for a few days afterwards.

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

I don't understand why the  UK catch-up services (on the Home Screen as apps) for Channel 4 and ITV require YouView to be enabled in order to function.  After all ITV and C4 work independently as apps on cheap devices such as a Kindle Fire.  Given that Sony will require customers to choose between HDD and YouView at a later date the choice being offered to customers is illogical and inadequate.  As things currently stand we will have to choose between:

a)  YouView with all catch-up services but no HDD;  or

b)  HDD with only BBC and C5 catch-up working from the Home Screen and non-functioning pre-installed C$/ITV apps.

Why can't a £1,000 + Sony television do what a £59 Kindle Fire can do? 

It looks as if very little thought and planning  from Sony has gone into the implementation of catch-up apps on the home Screen.  Every device I know can cope with all 4 UK catch-up services - yet this Sony Android TV can not.  

I'm also surprised that the (pre-installed and updated) Netflix app works in 4K and 5.1 sound  but the (pre-installed but never updated, in spite of promises) Amazon Video app can tackle UHD video but no 5.1. sound.  Why is Sony effectively downgrading one service in relation to its commercial rival?

jain236

@kevfarme i am also in the same boat , bought during the black friday deal and was going through 2 minds weather to return or not , then looking at all the delayed software release , i did not get confidence and returned my tv on 2 Jan (last day of my 30 day return) i feel this TV will struggle in 1yrs of time (hoping sony provides updates) with hardware as it does not have much ram and android is power hungry OS. so i really dont want to take chance.

jain236

there is absolutely no doubt that sony isgoing to Discontinue these models down the lane after 1yr. Look at the price 4 months ago and all Tvs are selling nearly 50% of.. which is good enough to  know why they are so cheap and going down.

kevfarme

@Patrandec wrote:

Ok, sent you and matt PM's with the list of emails I have used. I'm also mulling over whether I should email BBC Watchdog to urge them to investigate.

Go ahead :slight_smile:  I have done this a couple of weeks ago even though my set went back to Currys on 26th December.  I contacted BBC Watchdog in a small but hopefully significant way of helping all the other owners of this series of joke tv from Sony.

kevfarme

@lgcebr wrote:

I don't understand why the  UK catch-up services (on the Home Screen as apps) for Channel 4 and ITV require YouView to be enabled in order to function.  After all ITV and C4 work independently as apps on cheap devices such as a Kindle Fire.  Given that Sony will require customers to choose between HDD and YouView at a later date the choice being offered to customers is illogical and inadequate.  As things currently stand we will have to choose between:

b)  HDD with only BBC and C5 catch-up working from the Home Screen and non-functioning pre-installed C$/ITV apps.

I wonder, assuming Sony get the HDD recording working for you guys.....hmmm.....  Being as All 4 and ITVPlayer should be available through the Opera browser even without the awful You View running maybe you could record them with a HDD that way?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@lgcebr wrote:

Why can't a £1,000 + Sony television do what a £59 Kindle Fire can do? 

It looks as if very little thought and planning  from Sony has gone into the implementation of catch-up apps on the home Screen.  Every device I know can cope with all 4 UK catch-up services - yet this Sony Android TV can not.  

I'm also surprised that the (pre-installed and updated) Netflix app works in 4K and 5.1 sound  but the (pre-installed but never updated, in spite of promises) Amazon Video app can tackle UHD video but no 5.1. sound.  Why is Sony effectively downgrading one service in relation to its commercial rival?

Sony has had the BBC IPlayer and C5OD on its devices for a long time, but never the other two. But with their intention to put YouView on these sets, it would have been thought superfluous to separately licence the ITV and All4 Players, so they didn't try.

HDD recording was going to precede the availability of YouView, which was on a tight schedule anyway, so YouView were, I think, planning to include HDD recording later. YouView without recording is a slightly under-compelling option - even the non-PVR YouView boxes have enough recording capability to allow pause and rewind live TV.

But both were delayed, HDD recording by even more than YouView. YouView is pretty stable, within its current limitations, so I am hopeful that as soon as Sony can give YouView something coherent by way of HDD recording to play with, it won't be long before YouView has this too. And if not, I'm going to ask for a refund 🙂

Really though, nothing should surprise you with these sets. Their implementation has all the hallmarks of a slow-motion car crash in the Forest of Dean, albeit it hasn't yet hit a tree or been blown up by the Millennium Falcon....

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking