Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
ypmud150683
Explorer

lolipop is notorious for lagging, however Ive not started using kodi as to be fair need to know how to use it but still trying to figure the SEN thing out like to have belt and braces.

I accept that there will be little bit of quirks here and there its a smart tv using a open source os which itself is still in active development

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@ypmud150683 Kodi is really easy to install and there lots of tutorials in loading reprositories. Samsung (not really smart) TVs can't load Kodi.

I have a Nexus 9 running 6.1.1 MM and as you say it is a smooth OS compered 5.1 LP.

Sorry I don't know what is SEN is but I am sure if it's Sony related you get an answer here.

Thejak80

@Anonymous I'll be in touch without a doubt, but they won't release any new firmware due to sporting events? 

No disrespect intended to yourself as I know it's not your fault but are they having a joke?! The football/ tennis/ cricket is coming up right let's slam the brakes on all development, yet I'm sat here with a smart TV that disconnects and reconnects to WiFi?! What about one of the people here who've got issues and probably have a even harder time watching these events! I get I'm in the minority but I've never heard anything so bizzare 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Anonymous

No handbags needed - you make fair points. I much prefer Lithium to the GetSat Community software; and I spend a fair amount of time trying to convince GetSat that the Community engagement they have so many tools to measure would be all the greater if there were better user facilities to drive that engagement,

I am also reminded that forums like the BT one, also Lithium powered, provide the best of both worlds, as there are a very active set of moderators on that forum, and the company engagement from BT is not in doubt, being overt, not covert like here.

So my beef is not with Lithium, per se, it's about the way Sony take a back seat here, if they take a seat at all, instead of coming out and engaging with us.

Nor do I have a beef with you 'high priests' - thank goodness some of you, at least, are able to interact with Sony, and I don't think for a moment this is a thing you want to keep to yourselves. Instead, I blame the company, and the culture, that likes to hide behind you, and won't come out and engage with us all.

'Divide and rule' is based on us never knowing if Sony has a consistent redress policy or not, which having to engage with them privately, outside this forum, means they don't have to. We don't always know the whole story, admittedly, but when they apparently refuse to take back a faulty set they have sold direct, and yet give compensation, extra kit, and so on, to people with issues, we are seeing apparent inconsistency. Which the lack of openness exacerbates.

I think the point about GetSat is that Lithium can be used either way; with engagement, as BT do, or without it, as Sony do. But GetSat without engagement would be pretty pointless, verging on nonsensical.

So while other forum software can be used in an engaged or non-engaged manner, and you have to see the way it is being used in order to decide, GetSat kind of guarantees engagement, sight unseen. It's just a pity about the less than optimum user experience 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
andygoz

I also now have the issue of the sound going and the remote not responding, 

has as anyone got a fix? / a response from Sony. 

Happened 3 times this week now 

Karoosha
New

I too have similar issues, when putting to standby and later turning tv back on with remote, the sound has gone and the the remote is not working.

I have to then turn off TV by the wall which brings back the sound. Quite annoying.

I hope this can be fixed quickly with a firmware update

andygoz

This sound issue is now happening every day, Do Sony have a Twitter/email to feed this back as opposed to just mentioning it here on a forum they aren't reading? 

Thejak80

@andygoz you can certainly try getting in touch with Sony and their one question and your done social media team, who'll then put "contact support" I wouldn't expect a fix soon though apparently big sporting events are coming up and Sony's engineering team just stop making any progress at all while these events are on

hextablephil
Explorer

They've got 2 weeks to fix this issue , if it's not fixed by 5th June then
the tv goes back to TESCO DIRECT for a full refund. Tesco are aware of
this problem and they are issuing refunds/repairs.
If you want the repair then sony will apparently collect your tv and fix it
but this could take up to 12 weeks....What are we supposed to watch the
footy on whilst they have your tv for 3 months
Tesco will obviously try and fob you off and tell you to contact sony
yourselves but you have a period of up to 6 years in which (if you can
prove it that if it's not fit for purpose ) then the company you gave your
money to is still liable for repairs. If your product is over 1 year then
your refund CAN reduce by 10% per year up to the 6 years
Check your rights on the 'SALE OF GOODS ACT' 1985ish
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@hextablephil For me 12 weeks without Football is a real plus.